B4J Question B4J Version 5 issue?

Kirby Leeper

Licensed User
Longtime User
I am a B4J newbie but a long time VB6 programmer. I have one server, Win 2008R2 with B4J 4.70 and all works fine. My workstation is now Win10 with NEW install of B4J 5.00 and the very same code just stops and the only message is "Waiting for debugger to start".

Is Win10 OK to use for OS?
Is this a 5.00 issue?
Any help pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

P. S. this is a great product! Keep up the good work! I purchased entire B4X suite.

tchart

Licensed User
Longtime User
Did you get a firewall message? The debugger needs access to some ports. Check your firewall.

Upvote 0

Kirby Leeper

Licensed User
Longtime User
Did you get a firewall message? The debugger needs access to some ports. Check your firewall.
Thank you for the idea and I should have pre-stated that I already had turned the firewall completely off. It was already set to ask me anyway.
Any other ideas greatly appreciated or I will try and download 4.70 again and try that instead of 5.00 beta I guess???
Thanks again...

Upvote 0

tchart

Licensed User
Longtime User
Never had a problem on windows 10. Just make sure you have the right version of Java SDK (not JRE), allow firewall exceptions and you arent running two instances of B4J as the instances will compete for the debug port.

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
and the very same code just stops and the only message is "Waiting for debugger to start".
DEBUG compilations only runs when the IDE is connected/your app is started as result of a new debug compile and is started by the ide.

If you want to run your app alone you should use "Release" Compilation.

B4J (and even B4A) runs very fine on Windows 10.

Upvote 0

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
or I will try and download 4.70 again and try that instead of 5.00 beta I guess???
Thanks again...
It's been awhile since b4j v5 has become final, leaving the beta version behind...

As @DonManfred states, the debug only connects to your ap if your app has been compiled in debug mode...
If you are compiling in debug mode and then closing the idea, the app will not be able to connect to the debugger...
In release mode, the debugger still connects to your ap, but the app does not wait for it.

Upvote 0

Kirby Leeper

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks all! I rechecked firewalling, etc. and Taskmanager to be sure nothing still running. However, this time I also rebooted the PC and all works now. Therefore I am not sure what the fix was but there seems to have been some remnant running that was blocking the debugger. ???

That being said, I am new to this forum and I really appreciate the rapid and good advice. One day I hope to contribute as well.

Upvote 0

Laurent95

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks all! I rechecked ...
However, this time I also rebooted the PC and all works now. Therefore I am not sure what the fix was but...

Hello,
I give my 2 pence too.
I program for a long time and in many languages, now my machine is under W10, I have never seen this.
Once time, I saw that my temporary system files were taking 1/2 G°, it's totally crazy. (Try CCleaner you will be surprised sometimes.)
Some times I also lose my internet connection for no reason, I have to restart it for it to work again.
But I'm not surprise, try to stop Cortana services, many things will not work more. A point of view of Microsoft team who is really 'useful' for me, as i never used Cortana ;)
Thanks to all those products that are oriented to the connected world and the social networks now ...
But mostly oriented to capture your personal information.

I think restarting your computer cleaned everything up and allowed you to use B4J.
I'm in finish a program under B4J, yesterday i seen many strange things about B4J, also with SQLite,
Thanks to W10, i restarted my computer and the same things don't crash the application then, even it still some features stay a bit not adapted at my idea, indeed B4J is really a good and stable product.

Also I wonder if i will not downgrade the machine, even if it's really a shit to have updates under W7 now :(
That's my opinion, but really W10 is the only OS i have seen inside the forum who have many issues, issues that were not reproduced under precedent versions the most of time.

Have a nice day.

Last edited:
Upvote 0