Bad request on mobile data but not on WIFI

bluedude

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

I'm using http calls and I just noticed that on WIFI all works fine but on a mobile data connection it gives me a Bad request error.

I know for sure the data connection works because I test that in the browser.

How could the result be different on different types of connections?

Cheers,

thedesolatesoul

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
It can definitely be different because most mobile operators have a different back end rather than simple IP based devices.
For e.g. on my network we have shared IP addresses and incoming connections are blocked.
Also, mobile operators can modifiy the packets as they go through, especially for bandwidth conservation they can set the user agent to 'mobile device' or something like that.
If you are lucky to have your own server, you can test this.
Btw...bad request means that the request isnt even going out? Is this the response from the server?

Upvote 0

bluedude

Licensed User
Longtime User
Pretty interesting, just discovered something.

I use REST based calls like /appkey/value1/brand/value2/parameter/1 etc. Sometimes a value is empty and that means something like this is created /app/value1/brand//parameter/1

Notice the double // On WIFI this is fine and it works but the minute I switch to a mobile connection I get bad requests.

These kind of things are hard to debug.

Upvote 0

lagarre100

Licensed User
Longtime User
I fell foul of this trying to scrape data from a website using an 02 uk data connection. The adaptive proxying they use strips all whitespace then shoves all the external script files into the html of the page you requested. It also shifts tags around, sometimes breaking sites completely.
Theres some weird image compression happening as well, its quite noticable at times.
Vodafone also fiddle with the html, but whilst out and about i noticed that sometimes my app worked when I connected to a different cell tower so i presume it depends on network load at the tower on whether the pages are mangled or not.
On 02 i have yet to find a tower that doesnt proxy payg web traffic(contract customers can turn proxying off by phoning 02 apparently).

Last edited:
Upvote 0