BBC still out of touch with VR tech....

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
BBC News - Why we've never fallen in love with virtual reality https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50265414

This article on BBC news today shows just how out of touch BBC are with modern VR, and that they'll write articles without researching. They make claims in the article like:

The costs runs into thousands -
reality, midrange VR: PS4+PSVR = £450 - Oculus Quest: £399
PCVR (high end) = £600 PC + £399 Oculus Rift S

You need lots of space to use VR...
Wrong... I have 4 feet by 5 feet and can play everything fine. As long as you can stand up and wave you arms around, then you've got space.

Not social... VR games feel much more social in multiplayer as you are more in the game world than standard multiplayer on a screen.

Quality of games not great.... have they seen Lone Echo, Robo Recall, Asgards Wrath, Skyrim VR, Astrobot VR, star trek bridge crew????

And they talk about google cancelling they're daydream headsets, even though daydream was just a phone holder with rotation only and no room scale ability.

Oh, and BBC VR titles were few and not great quality, just ike most BBC software, it always feels like it's been made by A-level art students.

Articles like this one harm VR and make people think it's much worse than it really is.

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
maybe they are tired of waiting?

I remember seeing articles about it in the mid 80s as 'soon' to be realized but it never came of the ground as it was quite expensive and it still is.
And people don't tend to invest in something that has only 1 or 2 game titles.

andymc

Licensed User
Longtime User
@sorex Sorry but you sound out of touch too. There are hundreds of VR games, just look on Steam. You can play racing games like Dirt Rally and Project cars in VR, Elite Dangerous, SkyRim, Doom VFR, Fallout 4. Then there's the exclusive oculus titles which adds another dozen or so AAA quality games. Then there's google earth VR, which is amazing just on it own. Aside from all that on PC the PSVR has now sold over 5 million units, and PS4 games like Resident Evil have native VR support. Back on PC Valve are releasing a new Half Life game exclusively for VR.

You say t's expensive.. what price would you say is okay then? Cars are "expensive", but then they're worth it. VR is "expensive" to someone who is either cheap, has no money, or doesn't see the value in it.

Have you tried VR, and if so, which have you tried and what titles? Anything other than Oculus Quest, PSVR, Rift, HTC Vive doesn't count as VR. The thing google just cancelled was terrible and can't be classed as VR, as a go kart can't be classed as a car.

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I don't follow the gaming industry since Wolfenstein/Doom ruined it for me :)

But I only see it (VR) passing by on tv once in a while when there was a tech venue somewhere.
It's not really being marketed overhere.

The price... it was expensive a decade ago and it still is. ofcourse the quality has been better for the same price.
But with all these different brands I wonder if the games support all of these 'helmets' ?
What if you invest £500 in a VR set and the next killer game that you want is only for another one?
It's not like replacing or getting a new £25 joystick.
Maybe that's what people keep away from it?

Also your mentioning of being cheap... for some £500 means a handfull of new games (a lot more mobile games) and months of savings to scratch it together.
I think they prefer several games instead of one VR set that maybe comes with 1 free game. It doesn't mean he doesn't see the value of VR but has to makes choices.
if someone earns £5000 in a month then he wouldn't think twice about it and just buy it if (s)he really wants it.