Binary files on device

Ianmac

Licensed User
Longtime User
OK, I have a binary file system up and running, works fine on the compiled desktop version, but the device version comes up with the error "Error loading program.\My Documents\BinaryFile.dll"
The BinaryFile component was added to both the PC and the Device, but the message infers that the .dll should be on the device also, is this the case?

Regards

Ian

Ianmac

Licensed User
Longtime User
Many thanks, it is now working.
I was a bit loth to add the .dll to the device as the word 'compile' to me infers that all the code required is included in the final .exe and didn't want to add PC code in the form of a .dll to the device.
Do I take it all .dll's have to be added in this way and is that problem resolved when an automatic loader is used or do they still have to be added?

Thanks again

Ian

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Do I take it all .dll's have to be added in this way and is that problem resolved when an automatic loader is used or do they still have to be added?
Yes, any components used in an application need the appropriate dll to be present in the application directory on both the device and the desktop although B4PPC will copy the dll for the desktop to the development directory for you. If you move the desktop application to another directory you will need to move any dlls also.

If by "automatic loader" you mean an installer then either the installer must have been set up to provide the necessary dlls or they must be manually installed.

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
... didn't want to add PC code in the form of a .dll to the device.
In fact the dlls are not PC code but are compiled for the .NET Compact Framework and marked as retargetable. This means that they can also (usually) run under the full .NET Framework on the PC. When this is not so then two different dlls are provided for the device and the desktop e.g. the Crypto, FTP and Hardware components.