Android Question BLE not supported by android 4.4.4 ?

D

Deleted member 103

Hi,

according to the example of Erel, BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) should be supported starting with android 4.3.
I am currently trying on my old Nexus 7 with Android 4.4.4 and the sample says that BLE is not supported.
Does anyone know the problem?

nexus-7.png

techknight

Licensed User
Longtime User
yea that is the issue. Your Nexus 7 may only have Bluetooth 3.0 hardware in it. There are 2 versions of the Nexus 7. 2012, and 2013. Only 2013 has the BT4 hardware.

Upvote 0

emexes

Expert
Licensed User
Only 2013 has the BT4 hardware.

Also, BLE is an optional part of BT4. Just because box or specifications say BT4 (or 4.0 or 4.2), doesn't guarantee the device supports BLE. No prizes for guessing how I found that out.

BLE Checker (by Michael Yan) is the easiest way to confirm BLE hardware present.

And if it is, then +1 f0raster0 re Nordic Semiconductor nRF Connect app. I tried a few, and thought that app was the best for connecting to and exploring BLE peripherals.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 103

Thank you guys! :)
Then BLE is not only dependent on Android 4.3+ but also on the Bluetooth version.

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth
Bluetooth 4.0
Die Spezifikation 4.0 wurde am 17. Dezember 2009 verabschiedet. Mit diesem Standard wurde erstmals der Protokollstapel Low Energy verfügbar

Bluetooth 4.0
Specification 4.0 was adopted on December 17, 2009. With this standard, the protocol stack Low Energy became available for the first time

Upvote 0

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you guys! :)
Then BLE is not only dependent on Android 4.3+ but also on the Bluetooth version.
It must be said that some 4.4+ devices still did not have the Bluetooth 4.0 hardware even though Android supported

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 103

It must be said that some 4.4+ devices still did not have the Bluetooth 4.0 hardware even though Android supported
Yes, that's the problem!
In Android, there is no standard where each manufacturer must comply.

Upvote 0