Android Question Bluetooth BLE Difference between Android 7.1.1 vs 10.0??

air cover

Licensed User
Longtime User
I've got a customer in the field who has Android 10.

His Bluetooth is turned on and he can access BLE devices via apps. On each app screen at the very top his Bluetooth icon is displayed...

...except on mine!

I've got 2 Android phones, one running 7.1.1 and the other running 9.

On those 2 test phones I clearly see the Bluetooth icon displayed on the upper status bar as shown here:
Screenshot_20210324-205246.jpg

Anyway, my test phones use my app just fine. It's a remote control that moves your TV left & right mechanically. His Android 10 phone, however, shows that bluetooth icon on every app except for mine.

So my customer in the field gets no Bluetooth signal from my app to my control circuit.

He's running Android 10 and I'd love to know if I need to do something different to get my Bluetooth (BLE) remote control working on his phone.

Has anyone seen anything different on Android 10 for Bluetooth??

Have I not asked for the correct Permissions on the Google Play Store?

Last edited:

air cover

Licensed User
Longtime User
Double check if fine location is ON in his Smartphone running Android 10
Ok, thanks. Anything else that I should ask him upfront? I'd prefer to not keep coming back to him for multiple question sessions, if possible (you know, customer and all that).

Upvote 0

air cover

Licensed User
Longtime User
I've got "Location" turned off on my 2 test phones, but Bluetooth is working just fine if that matters.

Upvote 0

f0raster0

Licensed User
Longtime User
I've got "Location" turned off on my 2 test phones, but Bluetooth is working just fine if that matters.
your 2 tests phones are using Android 10? If I understand correct you don't have Android 10 in any phone to test.

Edit:

Edit2: if you like I can test your App here
Edit3: You can update from v9 to v10 your Smartphone

Last edited:
Upvote 0

air cover

Licensed User
Longtime User
your 2 tests phones are using Android 10? If I understand correct you don't have Android 10 in any phone to test.

Edit:

Edit2: if you like I can test your App here
Edit3: You can update from v9 to v10 your Smartphone
Yes, please.

It is "TVtilter" on the Google Play store. If Bluetooth is running on your phone and you approve Location access on the very first Open, then I'd love to know if you see the Bluetooth icon on your upper status bar.

The rest of the app is hidden until you connect with my hardware, so you won't see much of an app screen since you don't have that hardware, but that's not needed to see the initial scan/test of the upper Bluetooth icon at Opening.

My 2 test phone are Android 7.1.1 and 9.0, but I may take your suggestion and upgrade the 9 to 10.

Upvote 0

MbedAndroid

Licensed User
Longtime User
BLE works up to android 11. Be sure you got fine location is ON in your CODE. Follow Erels example of BLE.
I know BLE also works on android 10. Got a app with BLE so i'm pretty sure.

Upvote 0

air cover

Licensed User
Longtime User
then you need to test your App in Android 10 to confirm what is going on
Why would the Android 10 OS not display the Bluetooth icon on the status bar when my app is pulled up?

Customer sees that bluetooth icon in the upper status bar when he loads other bluetooth apps.
I see that bluetooth icon when I run my app on Android 7.1.1 and 9.

Seems unusual that this could be a code problem.

I'm thinking permissions or OS issue.

Upvote 0

f0raster0

Licensed User
Longtime User
Why would the Android 10 OS not display the Bluetooth icon on the status bar when my app is pulled up?
That is why you need to debug using an Android 10 to make sure everything work as expected.

Customer sees that bluetooth icon in the upper status bar when he loads other bluetooth apps.
I see that bluetooth icon when I run my app on Android 7.1.1 and 9.
The issue is with Android 10 then why you back to Android 7 or 9?
Please check again the link in post #5

Seems unusual that this could be a code problem.
I'm thinking permissions or OS issue.
I had a client with similar issue, the problem was his bluetooth-earphone when he turned it off my App worked (Android 10 and my own hardware BLE)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MbedAndroid

Licensed User
Longtime User
you know what brand the phone is? As i got 1 client with samsung A51 which cant start BT service with SDK manifest setted on 29 . SDK on 28 works fine for him.
There is a topic about it

Last edited:
Upvote 0

air cover

Licensed User
Longtime User
you know what brand the phone is? As i got 1 client with samsung A51 which cant start BT service with SDK manifest setted on 29 . SDK on 28 works fine for him.
There is a topic about it
Customer has a Samsung Galaxy 9.

Unless you know a secret, Google Play Store won't allow an APK to be uploaded to the store that targets anything older than SDK 29.

Upvote 0