Android Question Bluetooth BLE Difference between Android 7.1.1 vs 10.0??

air cover

Licensed User
Longtime User
I've got a customer in the field who has Android 10.

His Bluetooth is turned on and he can access BLE devices via apps. On each app screen at the very top his Bluetooth icon is displayed...

...except on mine!

I've got 2 Android phones, one running 7.1.1 and the other running 9.

On those 2 test phones I clearly see the Bluetooth icon displayed on the upper status bar as shown here:
Screenshot_20210324-205246.jpg

Anyway, my test phones use my app just fine. It's a remote control that moves your TV left & right mechanically. His Android 10 phone, however, shows that bluetooth icon on every app except for mine.

So my customer in the field gets no Bluetooth signal from my app to my control circuit.

He's running Android 10 and I'd love to know if I need to do something different to get my Bluetooth (BLE) remote control working on his phone.

Has anyone seen anything different on Android 10 for Bluetooth??

Have I not asked for the correct Permissions on the Google Play Store?

Last edited:

MbedAndroid

Licensed User
Longtime User
we sell hardware with tablet included . the question for the samsung a51 came from a user who tried his phone on the system. As the tablet is only used for the hardware the safety settings are not important. But the question for the A51 puzzeled me. I asked the guy if he use earphones and if so, switch them off.

Upvote 0

f0raster0

Licensed User
Longtime User
secret is easy: private server.
totally agree.

No, that requires savvy users willing to open their phone settings.
If it is a dedicated App. Make one-page manual (or record your screen to make a 1min video installing your App)

About your Android 10 issue, please debug it!
Post #5

About your Question:
Android Question: Bluetooth BLE Difference between Android 7.1.1 vs 10.0??
Post #5

My friend, we can tell you a lot of options.
But please share information about the Smartphone, about the BLE example used, BLE hardware used, it is paired already before stating the App, have you tried remove and install again, make sure the user accepted the new permissions.. etc etc etc..
All those questions are needed if you don't debug the App showing the logs..

The easer way is debug it!
Post #5

Last edited:
Upvote 0

air cover

Licensed User
Longtime User
My friend, we can tell you a lot of options.
But please share information about the Smartphone, about the BLE example used, BLE hardware used, it is paired already before stating the App, have you tried remove and install again, make sure the user accepted the new permissions.. etc etc etc..
All those questions are needed if you don't debug the App showing the logs..
Yeah, I may need to debug it. I mean, it's not really a "bug" since it works on Android 7 and 9, but viewing the log makes sense.

I upgraded my development PC to B4A 10.7 and compiled the TVtilter apk to SDK 30. Uploaded it to the Play Store and am waiting on Google's "review" now. In the meantime, the new compile again works on 7.1.1 and 9.

Customer is running Samsung Galaxy 9 on Android 10. Reset his phone. Downloaded the old version for SDK 29. Verified all permissions. Verified Location with Precision Accuracy on. Verified that he wasn't connecting to a different Bluetooth device like earbuds.

No joy. BLE just scans and scans, seeing nothing on my app on his phone running Android 10. I can see his DSD Relay hardware on my 2 development phones, though.

Will try the SDK 30 version on his phone as soon as Google approves my update, of course.

Maybe I'm the first person to ever see a BLE issue on android 10. Probably means that I need more development phones with multiple Android versions.

Upvote 0

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
You need to upload you app somewhere so that your can post a link for is to test it for you on Android 10, it's as simple as that really. All this talk is going absolutely nowhere, it needs testing on A10.

Either open up the locations on the play store or unload it somewhere. Actually better still, use the beta testers feature on the play store.

Upvote 0

air cover

Licensed User
Longtime User
You need to upload you app somewhere so that your can post a link for is to test it for you on Android 10, it's as simple as that really. All this talk is going absolutely nowhere, it needs testing on A10.

Either open up the locations on the play store or unload it somewhere. Actually better still, use the beta testers feature on the play store.

Yup. I added the rest of the world. I have no knowledge of whether that takes effect immediately or if Google has to review/approve.

Most of the main app screen is disabled until the app connects to my hardware, so you won't see much, but if you see bluetooth devices listed as a selection, then it is working.

Won't take 5 seconds, total.

Upvote 0

CHK

Licensed User
Longtime User
I just stumbled accross this post. I had similar issues with a Samsung Galaxy S10e and Android 10 a couple of weeks ago. The phone never shows the Bluetooth icon, not in my app, not in other. And it somehow changed the Bluetooth handshake, as I did not get the expected messages in my connected hardware as before. Moreover, I used to disconnect the Bluetooth connection in Activity_Pause, which also did not work any longer. After closing my app the connection remains. So I had to toggle Bluetooth on/off at every new start of the app. In my opinion there is certainly something different with Android 10, a bug or a feature.

Upvote 0

air cover

Licensed User
Longtime User
I just stumbled accross this post. I had similar issues with a Samsung Galaxy S10e and Android 10 a couple of weeks ago. The phone never shows the Bluetooth icon, not in my app, not in other. And it somehow changed the Bluetooth handshake, as I did not get the expected messages in my connected hardware as before. Moreover, I used to disconnect the Bluetooth connection in Activity_Pause, which also did not work any longer. After closing my app the connection remains. So I had to toggle Bluetooth on/off at every new start of the app. In my opinion there is certainly something different with Android 10, a bug or a feature.
Thanks.

Upvote 0

MbedAndroid

Licensed User
Longtime User
one of my customers confirmed that BT works on android 10 T290 samsung device. with a build SDK setted on 29. I will send him a build with SDK setted on 30 to check.
This to inform you. BT icon is visible in the screen.

Upvote 0

air cover

Licensed User
Longtime User
one of my customers confirmed that BT works on android 10 T290 samsung device. with a build SDK setted on 29. I will send him a build with SDK setted on 30 to check.
This to inform you. BT icon is visible in the screen.
Thanks, for sure if the Bluetooth icon is visible on the status bar then my app has worked each time.

Maybe not every Android 10 phone supports BLE??

Upvote 0

air cover

Licensed User
Longtime User
dont think so. Even the cheapest China crap phone supports BLE. Besides. I wasnt be able to check your app. Google wont allow me to download it.
My app Version 6 should be available worldwide now, targeted at SDK 30.

I went to Walmart and purchased 2 new test phones. Loaded my TVtilter app onto both new phones. Location on. Bluetooth on.

Phone #1:
Tracfone Blu View 1 Android 9 Bluetooth 4.2 ===> TVtilter app works perfectly. Bluetooth icon displays in upper status bar.

Phone #2:
Tracfone TCL A2 Android 10 Bluetooth 5.0 ===> No Bluetooth icon and TVtilter app doesn't work.

Upvote 0

f0raster0

Licensed User
Longtime User
Phone #2:
Tracfone TCL A2 Android 10 Bluetooth 5.0 ===> No Bluetooth icon and TVtilter app doesn't work.
I can see your app doesn't ask to turn on fine location, it is a must do.
Post#5

Tip: Install the App nRF connect and try to connect to your hardware, you will see how it should ask and turn on the BLE and Fine location.

Upvote 0

air cover

Licensed User
Longtime User
I can see your app doesn't ask to turn on fine location, it is a must do.
Post#5

Tip: Install the App nRF connect and try to connect to your hardware, you will see how it should ask and turn on the BLE and Fine location.
Thanks. Is there a difference between turning on Fine Location in code versus a user hitting the phone itself to turn it on manually?

Upvote 0

f0raster0

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks. Is there a difference between turning on Fine Location in code versus a user hitting the phone itself to turn it on manually?
ahh, you wrote something about you wanted make it easier for the user..

What is the log when you try to connect?

I created this App using the example from the forum, it use BLE5 and tested in Android 10

Upvote 0

f0raster0

Licensed User
Longtime User
Here are the logs from the 2 new test phones and there is definitely a difference!
yes, Post#5

Upvote 0

OliverA

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
1) What scan mode are you using? I'm pretty sure you need SCAN_MODE_LOW_POWER for scanning in the background (in a service) on 10
2) Samsung phones are notorious for killing your service in the background if you do not turn battery optimization off for you application
3) I hope you are using a filter. W/o a filter, background scanning will fail

Upvote 0

air cover

Licensed User
Longtime User
Problem solved, thanks everyone.

Added:
AddPermission(android.permission.ACCESS_FINE_LOCATION)
to the end of the Manifest and changed from Coarse to FINE in the code as was suggested early on in this thread.

Now my code works in Android 10.

Upvote 0