Brand new user with a few general questions about license

kostefar

Licensed User
Longtime User
Dear All,

Just bought the cheapest license for B4a giving me rights to receive updates for the next two months.
And here´s my question: After that, what will I still be able to download? Libraries older than that date, or nothing at all...?

Also, how can I change my user name and bday?

Thanks!

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
yes, you can still download libraries after that period but you won't receive mails anymore with download links to the beta or full versions of the program.

at the top right you can click your nickname and a menu will show up to change some settings.

kostefar

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks for your quick answer!
Really love this stuff, and I have a few more questions:

1. Can you only debug on an android platform, so that you always need to either have a mobile connected via USB, or be running an emulator?
2. Will it ever be possible to run droid4x as the emulator connected? Droid4x is much faster and less resource craving than the standard AVDs.
3. Is the only way of accessing a library something like Dim sf As StringFunctions in the globals, and then for instance use Mid as sf.mid? The way it looks to me from examples, you could just use mid without sf (or whatever it´s dimmed as) in front of it.

Thanks!

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
1. yes, either a real device over USB or LAN or an emu
2. don't waste your time with the AVD's. Use Genymotion or any of the others instead.
3. are you talking about mid or dim here? mid doesn't exist unless you use that strings thing. when you dim a string variable just type varname. and you'll get a lis of function that you can use on it. one of them are substring & substring2 which is the same as mid in other languages.

kostefar

Licensed User
Longtime User
1. yes, either a real device over USB or LAN or an emu
2. don't waste your time with the AVD's. Use Genymotion or any of the others instead.
3. are you talking about mid or dim here? mid doesn't exist unless you use that strings thing. when you dim a string variable just type varname. and you'll get a lis of function that you can use on it. one of them are substring & substring2 which is the same as mid in other languages.

Thanks, but the only virtual device I´ve found to work under Vmware so far is AVD running an old version of Android. Probably it´s got alot to do with the very basic graphics drivers for Vmware. For Genymotion, it times out both when running via Virtualbox and from within Genymotion - both inside of Vmware.
It´s not always I need to run via Vmware, so later on I can test apps on any possible platform, but at work I need to teamviewer-tap into my vmware installation at home.
3. Yes, I´m talking about mid used under "that strings thing" :) Just wondered if the library could be declared in a way so that you don´t have to add anything in front of mid. Looking into the native string functions of b4a at the moment..

Thanks.

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
that's because it's a class sub and not a real library I guess.

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
did you install vmware tools? that comes with a better vga/network driver.

klaus

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
3. You need to use sf.Mid.
StringFunctions was at the beginning a Ccode module and was later compiled to a library.

Instead of Mid you can use the string SubString2(BeginIndex As Int, EndIndex As Int) function.
Examples:
B4X:
Dim sf As StringFunctions
Dim txt1, txt2 As String
txt1 = "123456"

txt2 = sf.Mid(txt1, 2, 3)
txt2 = txt1.Substring2(1, 4)

' result  234
The parameters in SubString2 are different from Mid !
From the Help:
SubString2(BeginIndex As Int, EndIndex As Int)
Returns a new string which is a substring of the original string.
The new string will include the character at BeginIndex and will extend to the character at EndIndex, not including the last character.
The indexes begin with 0.

kostefar

Licensed User
Longtime User
3. You need to use sf.Mid.
StringFunctions was at the beginning a Ccode module and was later compiled to a library.

Instead of Mid you can use the string SubString2(BeginIndex As Int, EndIndex As Int) function.
Examples:
B4X:
Dim sf As StringFunctions
Dim txt1, txt2 As String
txt1 = "123456"

txt2 = sf.Mid(txt1, 2, 3)
txt2 = txt1.Substring2(1, 4)

' result  234
The parameters in SubString2 are different from Mid !
From the Help:
SubString2(BeginIndex As Int, EndIndex As Int)
Returns a new string which is a substring of the original string.
The new string will include the character at BeginIndex and will extend to the character at EndIndex, not including the last character.
The indexes begin with 0.

I already like substring2 more than mid, easier to get a quick overview with that one of what you´ve done!

sorex: I think I already had vmware tools installed, but will try again. I´m happy though that I even CAN run an android emulator in a vmware environment, having struggled so much to even get to that stage but of course it would not be a bad thing if the things were smoother.

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
it would not be a bad thing if the things were smoother.

keep in mind that you need to transfer screen changes over the net which cause these delays (bandwidth / screengrabbin / deltapacking and depacking / ...)

kostefar

Licensed User
Longtime User
keep in mind that you need to transfer screen changes over the net which cause these delays (bandwidth / screengrabbin / deltapacking and depacking / ...)

Yes, that´s true. But what bothers me is the time it takes to install the app, which is like 188 kb so far, on the device. The AVD device is so much slower than other android emulations, which I suspect being the reason for this.
I did btw already have the SVGA 3D driver for Vmware installed, which is part of the vmware tools, so that´s apparently the best I can get.
Anyway, not a big deal, and this of course is not the right place to discuss android emulators and their compatibility with vmware.

Thanks!

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
you only need the AVDs when you need to test something for a smartwatch.

for the regular stuff you can ditch AVD and use one of the others.

kostefar

Licensed User
Longtime User
you only need the AVDs when you need to test something for a smartwatch.

for the regular stuff you can ditch AVD and use one of the others.

Yeah, so that´s why I´m hoping to find a way to get emus mentioned previously such as droid4x or genymod working under my vmware box - still without success.

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
it's probably because passthrough virtulization doesn't work since it's running already in a virtual machine.

genymotion uses virtualbox which uses this instead of the real slow emulation.