Calculate bits and bytes

Discussion in 'Questions (Windows Mobile)' started by schimanski, Aug 29, 2008.

1. schimanski

schimanski Well-Known Member Licensed User

Hello!

I need to decode a UKSP-String (Ultra Short (kurz) String Police) for my application. The UKSP-String is a String with crlf+18 Bytes+crlf. Each Byte will save informations. For example: the first Byte is caluculated with:

Byte1=CHR(128+(County*8)+(bit.AND(District,28))/4))

County and District are decimal values. Now my question: Is there a way to decode the Byte1 in the Country and District? My first problem is to reverse the bitwise operation "bit.AND(District,28)".

Thanks for answer...

schimanski

2. agraham

agraham Expert Licensed User

I think this does it. What is happening is that the 128 is packing to make the code printable, or at least non-zero. County is multiplied by 8 which effectively left shifts it three binary places leaving the values 0 to 7 free for the District. The District number is ANDed with binary 11100 (28) then divided by 4 which effectively right shifts the result to the the bottom three bit positions left clear by moving County left. As a result the decoded County can have any value but the decoded District can only have one of the eight values 0,4,8,12,16,20,24,28 or 0 to 7 if you don't undo the original divide by 4.
    Code:
    Sub Globals

Dim County

Dim District
    End Sub

Sub App_Start
       Decode(
    128 + 3 * 8 + 12 /4)
       msg = 
    "County - " & County & CRLF
       msg = msg & 
    "District - " & District 

Msgbox(msg)
    End Sub

Sub Decode(code)
       code = code - 
       District =  
    4 * (code Mod 8' bottom three bits
       County = Int(Code / 8)
    End Sub

Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  3. schimanski

schimanski Well-Known Member Licensed User

Many thanks

Thanks agraham for the fast answer!

I think, that I begin to understand it.

I will try now something with your code...

:sign0060:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice