Can we run Fake GPS signal ?

JTmartins

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if there is a way to have some sort of fake GPS signal in the emulator.

I need to add some GPS stuf to my program, but for testing purposes, its quite boring to send the program to the device, go outside, test, come back, correct code, go outside again, etc..etc..Not a very practical workflow...Besides it's winter and its always raining !!!

If there was a way to run a fake GPS signal, for my testing purposes would be perfect.

I'm a beginner in B4A, so the easiest way would be ideal.

Thanks for the help
Jose

JTmartins

Licensed User
Longtime User
Installed but...

Hi warwound...

I've installed My Fake location, but as far as I can see, I can only set one location..Is there any tool, that can simulate a small route and GPS coordinates change acordingly ? Anything with a start point..a finish point..travel speed (not really necessary) and then the coords would change. The app would be running in background (obvious), and my app would be the one on the screen.

This would allow me to capture the different coords, as if I was actually traveling or walking.

Thanks

**EDIT - just found "GPS ROUTE SIMULATOR" will try this one.

IT WORKS...

If there are any newbies like me, here is how to install some apps in the emulator, without messing with google play (not so easy to install in the emulator)

In the emulator, open the browser and google for aptoid. (a kind of google play store)
You will find the link for aptoid install, open the webpage.
Click for install
You have to pull down the top bar to see the progress
Once the download is finished, just double click on the app name and it will ask if you want to install.
Say yes and then open the aptoid app
Look for GPS ROUTE SIMULATOR (in this case, that was what I wanted)
When found, just click to install and voila...a new app in your emulator.

This may seem quite basic info for lots of people, but I was very happy to learn this.

Happy Xmas every one

Last edited:
Upvote 0

warwound

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi.

It's possible but not something i have done myself...

You have the Android SDK installed and that includes the Dalvik Debug Monitor Server .
So navigate to the location of the SDK on your computer and in the Android SDK install folder is a folder named tools, inside the tools folder is ddms.bat.

Double click ddms.bat and select the Emulator Control tab upper right.

The Location Controls are what you are interested in.
See how you can manually select a (single) location, or select a GPX or KMl file to select a series of points (a path)?
(You need to run your app on the emulator and then select your app from the list upper left to enable the Location Controls).

I've not used this feature myself but if you experiment (and remember your friend Google) you can hopefully get it to work.

Martin.

Upvote 0

JTmartins

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks

I've found the solution above and it works.

Yesterday I was actually looking for emulator control in DDM, and could't find it...grrr, just a little tabbing.

I feel so dumb !!! :sign0104::sign0104:

I will use the feature for sure.

Thanks again

Upvote 0