Android Question change column sql

harinder

Licensed User
Longtime User
I want the correct syntax for changing column name of a database. Following not working where I want to change names of 2 columns, one from old to new, other from good to bad..thnx

B4X:
Dim chngQuery As String= "ALTER TABLE " &Main.DBTable & " CHANGE COLUMN  old new CHANGE COLUMN good bad"
        Main.SQL1.ExecNonQuery(chngQuery)

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

harinder

Licensed User
Longtime User
can you tell me how to transfer data from Table1 having columns A,B,C to Table2 having columns D,E,F?

Upvote 0

Mahares

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
can you tell me how to transfer data from Table1 having columns A,B,C to Table2 having columns D,E,F?

I will put in code the steps that was enumerated by @DonManfred, @toby and @jimmyF:
The sequence is as follows:
1. Create a 2nd table with the same structure As the 1st except different col names.
2. Insert all the records from the 1st table into the 2nd table.
3. Delete the 1st table.
4. Rename the 2nd table To the 1st table, unless you do not want to delete the 1st.

B4X:
Dim Cursor1 As Cursor
Dim DBTableName As String ="Table1"
Dim DBTableName2 As String ="Table2"
Dim txt As String

Sub CreateTable
    txt="CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS " & DBTableName2 & " (D TEXT, E TEXT , F TEXT )"
    SQL1.ExecNonQuery(txt)
End Sub

Sub PopulateSecondTable
    txt="SELECT * FROM " & DBTableName
    Cursor1=SQL1.ExecQuery(txt)
    SQL1.BeginTransaction
    For i=0 To Cursor1.RowCount -1
        Cursor1.Position=i
        txt="INSERT INTO " & DBTableName2 & " VALUES (?,?,?)"
        SQL1.ExecNonQuery2(txt, Array As String(Cursor1.GetString("A"), Cursor1.GetString("B"), , Cursor1.GetString("C") ))
    Next

SQL1.ExecNonQuery("DROP TABLE " & DBTableName)  'Delete the first table
    SQL1.ExecNonQuery("ALTER TABLE " & DBTableName2 & " RENAME TO " & DBTableName)  'rename the 2nd table to the 1st
    SQL1.TransactionSuccessful
    SQL1.EndTransaction
End Sub

Upvote 0

Claudio Oliveira

Licensed User
Longtime User
In this case, all this:
B4X:
    txt="SELECT * FROM " & DBTableName
    Cursor1=SQL1.ExecQuery(txt)
    SQL1.BeginTransaction
    For i=0 To Cursor1.RowCount -1
        Cursor1.Position=i
        txt="INSERT INTO " & DBTableName2 & " VALUES (?,?,?)"
        SQL1.ExecNonQuery2(txt, Array As String(Cursor1.GetString("A"), Cursor1.GetString("B"), , Cursor1.GetString("C") ))
    Next

Can be replaced by this:
B4X:
   txt=$"INSERT INTO ${DBTableName2} SELECT * FROM ${DBTableName}"$
    SQL1.BeginTransaction
    SQL1.ExecNonQuery(txt)
    SQL1.TransactionSuccessful
    SQL1.EndTransaction

This way, all the copying process is left to SQLite engine to carry out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Claudio Oliveira

Licensed User
Longtime User
That is not a correct syntax with TRUE in there. It needs to be:
B4X:
txt=$"INSERT INTO ${DBTableName2} SELECT * FROM ${DBTableName}"$
Unnecesary, yes. But definitely not incorrect. Deleted.
ExecNonQuery does not return a cursor. It should be: SQL1.ExecNonQuery(txt)
That's right. Copy/paste stuff. Corrected.

Upvote 0

Claudio Oliveira

Licensed User
Longtime User
I tested your syntax before I rushed to judgement and indeed it returned the error. Please check it for yourself:
(no such column: TRUE (code 1): , while compiling: INSERT INTO tblVehicles2 SELECT * FROM tblVehicles WHERE TRUE)

I tested before with SQLite Expert on Windows and it worked pretty fine.
This syntax is documented in SQLite homepage, so this is weird...
upload_2018-8-15_9-59-11.png

I tested now on B4A and you're absolutely right. Indeed SQLite returns this "no such column" error.
So i've come to the conclusion that it's not a good idea testing SQL for use with B4A in other environments except B4A itself.
One more lesson learned...

Upvote 0

Mahares

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
So i've come to the conclusion that it's not a good idea testing SQL for use with B4A in other environments except B4A itself.
One more lesson learned...
You can use the number 1 instead of TRUE if you want, although unnecessary because SQLite does not have a Boolean data type class, so 1 is considered TRUE. The below statement will work:
B4X:
strQuery=$"INSERT INTO tblVehicles2 SELECT * FROM tblVehicles WHERE 1"$

Upvote 0

RB Smissaert

Licensed User
Longtime User
You can use the number 1 instead of TRUE if you want, although unnecessary because SQLite does not have a Boolean data type class, so 1 is considered TRUE. The below statement will work:
B4X:

What is the point of the Where clause here?

RBS

Upvote 0

Claudio Oliveira

Licensed User
Longtime User
B4X:

That's right.
As a matter of fact, this where clause would be necessary only in the case described in SQLite documentation (excerpt attached on post #13). I have not paid attention to this when I posted my code... :confused:

Upvote 0

Claudio Oliveira

Licensed User
Longtime User
By the way, I wouldn't do this by code, because every DB object related to that table would have to be recreated and some of them, like triggers and views, would have to be manually updated and recreated to reflect column name changes.
Generally speaking, good database programming practice is that all DB maintenance should always be carried out by the developer/development team, not by the aplication itself. And when it comes to SQLite, this is more advisable yet, as it isn't natively capable of dealing with all this stuff.
In Oracle, for example, if there are triggers or views referencing a certain column, the DBMS raises an error if you try to change that column's name.
Not by chance SQLite implements only RENAME and ADD COLUMN to its ALTER TABLE command.

Upvote 0

harinder

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks Claudio..this necessity arose as I have an initial table with general info in which user also chooses one out of 3 certain categories. So I need to then pass all the general info as per chosen category(using WHERE and GROUP BY and UNION ALL) to a master table having info of all 3 categories in different columns and each category info goes to respective column..
Easier approach of course is to have only one table with info from all sources mapped in it and then use same table for different UI...I will do that tidying later, but I consider the present route as a great learning curve..
The issue I am facing presently is that the following code to pass info from new table created by Mahares and your help (new table with correct columns and correct general info created successfully) is not working as Master table shows a null !! (Only column heads visible)
Tableprior is Master table and Tablepee1 is the new created table with general info and the correct columns..

Upvote 0

harinder

Licensed User
Longtime User
B4X:
Dim Query2 As String=$"
    SELECT ACType,sum(DualDay), sum(DualNite),sum(P1Day), sum(P1Nite),
    sum( P2Day),sum( P2Nite) from (select * from  ${main.DBTableprior}
    UNION ALL SELECT ACType,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,P1Dayhr,P1Daymin,P1Nitehr,
    P1Nitemin,0,0,0,0,InstrFlghr,InstrFlgmin,0,0 from ${main.DBTablepee1})
    GROUP BY ACType"$

Main.SQL1.ExecQuery(Query2)

Upvote 0