Clock, Table & Textbox won't Display

epsharp

Licensed User
Longtime User
I wrote a program to calculate my own NFL Point Spread. Using SQLite it loads two tables with every game played with score for the two teams selected. It then compares the two tables looking for commonalities: ie.DALvsPITvsGB::GBvsINDvsWAS links DAL & WAS.

When a link is found, it is added to a text box with scores and the link is removed. This continues until one or both the tables run out of data.

My problem, both tables and the text box remain blank UNTIL THE COMPARISON IS FINISHED! You can watch the sliders moving up and down both tables and the text box but no data is shown.

I tried adding a timer and displaying the time on the form every second but the timer stops when you press "GO" and does not display again until finished (8 to 10 seconds typical). Even if you enter the two teams in lower case, which is immediately converted to upper (tTeam.text = StrToUpper (tTeam.text) it does not show until finished.

I have the same problem with another program converting JAVA to PPC4 and trying to display progress messages (Searching for Class, Searching for Constructor, etc) with all messages displaying at the program end.

I've tried searching (here and internet) but I don't even know how to phrase the problem correctly. Can anyone please point me in the right direction.

Regards,

Ed Sharp

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
add the "DoEvents" keyword.
it will allow the screen to be "redrawn"

epsharp

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks Cableguy! Worked perfectly (but I sure needed a lot of them). I never looked at the keyword DoEvents thinking it was part of the Do...While... series. Searching DoEvents lead me to Threading and also a much greater understanding of PPC events.

Thanks again!