Compressed archive handling (zip, glib, rar etc)

joneden

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

OK so I've read about the ABZipFile lib and it appears as though that one doesn't support passwords and has a fair few issues to say nothing of the fact that it is discontinued.

I've also had a look at the RandomAccessFile lib. That one is looking more like it, am I correct that I'd be able to use this to take a gzipped file downloaded from a webservice, uncompress it in memory using a password then throw it at the saxparser to process the data inside.

If not can anyone suggest an lib that I could use? Worst case password protection isn't critical but it is highly desired...

Best Regards,

Jon

Informatix

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

OK so I've read about the ABZipFile lib and it appears as though that one doesn't support passwords and has a fair few issues to say nothing of the fact that it is discontinued.

I've also had a look at the RandomAccessFile lib. That one is looking more like it, am I correct that I'd be able to use this to take a gzipped file downloaded from a webservice, uncompress it in memory using a password then throw it at the saxparser to process the data inside.

If not can anyone suggest an lib that I could use? Worst case password protection isn't critical but it is highly desired...

Best Regards,

Jon

Djembefola asked for an asynchronous library to handle zip and tar archives, and I'm currently analyzing the things to do. This won't be a free library, but I should set a very affordable price. If you want to join him, that will lower the cost. Here's the post.

Upvote 0

joneden

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks for that but I need one that is synchronous and I think that password encryption aside the gzip lib should do what I need... Also need to be running straight away.

Thanks though,

Jon

Upvote 0

Informatix

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks for that but I need one that is synchronous and I think that password encryption aside the gzip lib should do what I need... Also need to be running straight away.

Thanks though,

Jon

The library contains synchronous and asynchronous functions.
On my Unix servers, I use the Gzip format since many years (with a .tar inside) and I never realized this format was limited to only one file inside. I just discovered it while working on the library. :eek:

Upvote 0

joneden

Licensed User
Longtime User
Yeah I noticed that - I'm guessing that the asynchronous are newer functions.

I did wonder about whether it was like that with the single file - seems that the format stems more from compressing a stream of text than from storing files (and compressing them).

Upvote 0