B4R Question Connect Android Tablet via USB to Arduino

Adie

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi
I am fairly new to Android and thus B4A but find it fairly easy once the basic structure of the OS is grasped.

SO - if this thread should be moved to a more appropriate board go for it.

Background.
We developed RALLY navigation equipment with the Atmel chip (Uno) and Arduino bootloader. We read wheel via a reedswitch to compute speed and distance, Handlebar switches for user interface, GPS for CAP heading and other features that are displayed on a 7 segment display. We developed our own pc boards etc. We also develop 'roadbook' holders for paper rolls. (see here: http://rockfox.co.za/Rallye-Raid-Products/ for a better idea)

New project.
We are looking at an advanced unit that will exceed the capabilities of the Arduino. We now need to display the Roadbook, speed, distance, CAP etc etc on a single display. We opted for a 7" Android tablet. One version will use a 4" Android phone as processor and screen where we do not need to show the Roadbook.

What we need to do.
We will use the Arduino to gather wheel, button and GPS data. This will then be processed and the results must be sent via the USB port to the Tablet. The tablet can then maintain the display and other user interface chores. (the system will do much more than the current Trip-CAP and roadbook) The tablet memory will also be used to store the GPS track etc etc.

What I need to figure out.
1. how do I set the TABLET up to communicate via USB to the outside world. We will use a USB2Serial adapter to interface with the Atmel chip via Serial TTL. We will permanently power the Tablet via the USB as well.

2. I could not get a simple PDF viewer with an option to scroll up or down via CODE. (We will disable the touch screen as all input will come from the handlebar switches via the USB port.)

the buttons in the picture will be replaced with the input via USB.

Adie

Attachments

• Rally-Nav.JPG
    Rally-Nav.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 366

Adie

Licensed User
Longtime User
hi Erel
thanks, I tried various options last night and discovered USBSerial. That's working the best as it does not rely on any other installations.

Now it is only the PDF that need sorting :)

Adie

Upvote 0