Android Question Copy CSV file from Download folder

stevetheframe

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have an App on Google Play where the user can update the pricing information by downloading a csv file and then importing it into the App (from the Download folder). All has been well until Google Play has forced me to target SDK 30.
I have changed from using a simple FileDialog to code based on the ExternalStorage class. This works well until I try it on Android 11 where, although I can see the file(s) in Download, there is a message "Can't use this Folder. To protect your privacy, choose another folder."
The odd thing is that if I put the file in the "Pictures" folder I can import it from there.
Am I being too optimistic trying to use the ExternalStorage class when I need to use something else?

Roger Daley

Licensed User
Longtime User
the app doesn't access the download folder. your post may or may not have some bearing on a different problem. not the one in question.
drgottjr
You have me confused.
The original post said:
"I have an App on Google Play where the user can update the pricing information by downloading a csv file and then importing it into the App (from the Download folder). All has been well until Google Play has forced me to target SDK 30."
Reading the the original post the central problem seems to be that @stevetheframe can't get the CSV from the Download Folder to the App but can from a different external folder. I could be wrong, but if he can't avoid the Download Folder, using a file manager to move the CSV to a different external folder seems viable.

Putting all this aside perhaps it is best left to @stevetheframe if this is of any use to him.

Upvote 0