Database Question

linum

Licensed User
I'm working on a project that involves multiple computers accessing a database over a network. Which database can I safely use that will enable multiple users on different computers to access the same database simultaneously as well as enable them to read/write to the database?

Can I use sql, xml, csv?

Ariel_Z

Licensed User
You better use MySQL or MSSQL (the later is not free). Use the relevant additional library (the MySQL library is new and I didn't test it yet, but it may be nice to accompany your learning curve with it). Are you experienced with the database servers (remember sqlite is serverless)? I'm asking of course just to know how many details you would like to have of course, it does not require, basically, any special experience.

linum

Licensed User
Hello. We use mapped drives over our network, so I should be able to store the main database file in network mapped drive J: and just have the main program make a call to it just like if accessing any DIR.

I'm going to give mySql a shot. I've never used any database files (other then csv) so it will be a learning curve for me...

Thanks.

Caravelle

Licensed User
Longtime User
The sqlite documentation suggests it is safe for the sort of use suggested, and used in many large organisations. There are plenty of posts in various sqlite forums discussing exactly this. I'd start by Googling the sqlite website and working on from there. That's where the expert answers are.

Caravelle