Android Question dBase or Visual FoxPro like library for B4A

almontgreen

Licensed User
Longtime User
I've spent a fair amount of time trolling the forums for database libraries and don't see anything that really fills my requirements for programming record manipulations of a multi table relational database. For example, doing mathematical formulas on parsed records, global record field replace functions, unique table relationships for one to many data parsing functions. Large table field replacements or manipulations. Complex indexing modifications.

I looked a lot at the Jackcess library but there doesn't seem to be a lot of functions available (as compared to Visual Foxpro for example).

If I'm going to spend a lot of time learning, I'd like that effort to be directed at the right library option. I understand the huge use of SQL solutions, but since my application would have all of the databases resident on the device, I don't know how efficient this would be? The learning curve for me would be pretty steep as well.

Thanks for any advice. B4A is truly amazing and I have a lot to learn!

walterf25

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I've spent a fair amount of time trolling the forums for database libraries and don't see anything that really fills my requirements for programming record manipulations of a multi table relational database. For example, doing mathematical formulas on parsed records, global record field replace functions, unique table relationships for one to many data parsing functions. Large table field replacements or manipulations. Complex indexing modifications.

I looked a lot at the Jackcess library but there doesn't seem to be a lot of functions available (as compared to Visual Foxpro for example).

If I'm going to spend a lot of time learning, I'd like that effort to be directed at the right library option. I understand the huge use of SQL solutions, but since my application would have all of the databases resident on the device, I don't know how efficient this would be? The learning curve for me would be pretty steep as well.

Thanks for any advice. B4A is truly amazing and I have a lot to learn!
You can do all of that with Sqlite.

Walter

Upvote 0

keirS

Licensed User
Longtime User
As Walter says you can use SQLite, There are a lot of differences in how you would do things in Visual FoxPro compared to SQLite. The big difference is that the Android implementation of SQLite does not support updateable cursors or views. So you have to approach how you do things differently. This is also true for people who are used to VB and Delphi though.

Upvote 0