Default Browser (Desktop)

bish0p

Licensed User
Longtime User
Over the last few weeks I have been putting together an Geocaching application in B4PPC and it works fabulously (thanks to many peoples help and additional libraries). It addresses many of the issues power cachers have been fighting for years now.

It works great on the PPC, however I have had a request to compile it for the Desktop, which for 98% of it would not be an issue, however there is a section that I use dzt's HTMLview library to display some information. To get around it I would like to just feed a created .html file to the default browser.

The main question I have is how to determine what the default browser is?

Thanks

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
You do not need to know what the default browser is, in order to show a webpage.
You can simply shell the html file, or embed a webBrowser object into your app...
If you shoose to shell an html page, the default browser, whtever it is, will be call upon to open the file....

Mr_Gee

Licensed User
Longtime User
Why wouldn't you use this?
B4X:
Shell("\Windows\explorer.exe","<htmlfile location + name>")

bish0p

Licensed User
Longtime User
Why wouldn't you use this?
B4X:
Shell("\Windows\explorer.exe","<htmlfile location + name>")

You can but that does not use the Default Browser, it always uses IE... And there are many choices other than IE.

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Shelling ONLY the html file will open the default browser...
Like this
Shell("myfile.html")

This should open the default browser, have you tryied it?

Mr_Gee

Licensed User
Longtime User
You can but that does not use the Default Browser, it always uses IE... And there are many choices other than IE.
I know, but thats not what I meant
nevermind

running the file in the shell should also work