Definition of a programmer

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HotShoe, Apr 23, 2015.

1. HotShoe

HotShoe Well-Known Member Licensed User

So what skills do you need to be a programmer? Below are a few requirements based upon 30+ years of experience. Enjoy!

First and foremost you have to have the ability to establish a psychic link with the client. Otherwise you will never know what they actually want.

Understand that the app or program will never truly be finished, and that the rules change drastically the closer you get to the finished goal. It is at this point that the client starts mentioning requirements that were not in the original design, or the development contract.

You must learn to be the clients' mother, father, priest, best friend, and their worst enemy. All of those must be done while resisting the urge to violently dismember the client(s) while laughing at the top of your lungs.

You must have the ability to stand you ground when a new client says "We need a simple app built", without throwing said client out or suffering a nervous breakdown.

These are a few things that will be required of you as a freelance or hired programmer. Feel free to add your own "requirements".

--- Jem

KitCarlson, Jaames, Erel and 5 others like this.
  2. MikeH

MikeH Well-Known Member Licensed User

"Like" is simply not enough. Bravo!

HotShoe and wonder like this.
  3. Peter Simpson

Peter Simpson Expert Licensed User

You been reading my mind again @HotShoe :p.
    I keep hearing from potential new clients "All we need is...". Yeah right, and all I need is the winning lottery ticket numbers.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  4. ilan

ilan Expert Licensed User

a computer, an internet connection, time, b4x, willingness :D (if you have those things you can be a programmer)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
    Cableguy and wonder like this.
  5. RandomCoder

RandomCoder Well-Known Member Licensed User

Resourcefulness, patience, determination and a willingness to learn are all typical qualities of a programmer. And I think most of us will agree that we can sometimes be a little stubborn :D

6. Troberg

Troberg Well-Known Member Licensed User

A good programmer is one that, when given a task that takes 100 hours to do, spends 99 hours making a program that does the task in 1 hour.

ilan likes this.
  7. KitCarlson

KitCarlson Active Member Licensed User

A good programmer checks work while sleeping.

schemer, RandomCoder and HotShoe like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice