Android Question Deploy app to 1 device

PHB2

Licensed User
Longtime User
Is it possible to deploy a B4A app to 1 specific device without publishing it on the Play Store? - I have the device in front of me :)

I have developed an app that has a very specific use for one person and don't want it to be available to others via the Play Store.

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
device without publishing it on the Play Store? - I have the device in front of me
connect your device using USB Debugging and compile your app. It is then installed on the Device connected.
Alternatively you can use B4A Bridge

Upvote 0

PHB2

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks Don.

Does that allow me to run it without the device being connected to the debugger? - Can I also name it to something slightly more useful than B4A Example?

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I suggest to read the BEGINNER guide and watch some beginners tutorials! You are member since 9 YEARS. You should know all this already

1. Change the Packagename to be something other than b4a.example
2. Change the Application label to be other than B4A Example
3. Run the compilation in Release mode.

Upvote 0

PHB2

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you Don, and apologies. Although I have been a member for 9 years I have not done that much B4X programming and never had to deploy a Release version.

Upvote 0

canalrun

Licensed User
Longtime User
Email the APK as an attachment to the device.

On the device, click on the attachment and it will install. It will ask you to "allow unknown sources".

I've used this many times to install on devices running earlier versions of android (six, seven, or eight). I hope it still works with later versions. Sometimes you run into problems where the email server says the attachment is too big, or the type of attachment is unsafe – you might have to play around a little.

Barry.

Upvote 0

Xicu

Licensed User
Longtime User
If apk is only for you, the best way is
connect your device using USB Debugging and compile your app. It is then installed on the Device connected.
Alternatively you can use B4A Bridge

If you want distribute to others phones then
Email the APK as an attachment to the device.

But unfortunately
Sometimes you run into problems where the email server says the attachment is too big, or the type of attachment is unsafe
Or directly the apk is delected, like gmail do.

So if its possible, I prefer conect the phone directly to pc by usb, transfer apk to phone. Then with phone file explorer, look for apk, click it, and install it.
In the company where I work, I have a small application made with b4a and I distribute it like this. I think that it is the most quick

Last edited:
Upvote 0

canalrun

Licensed User
Longtime User
Another way I've transferred APK files to a specific phone without using USB or the B4A bridge is to use FTP.

There are some very simple, free, Android FTP servers on Google Play that can be installed on a phone.

Using a PC FTP client, connect to the phone and transfer the APK to a directory.

From a phone Explorer type program, click on the APK to install. I'm pretty sure it will ask for "install from unknown source" permission.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PHB2

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks canalrun and Xicu for your responses. I'll give them a go and see which works best. Nice to get some positive replies.

Upvote 0