B4R Question Different behaviour of ByteConverter.ArrayCopy in different boards

hatzisn

Licensed User
Longtime User
This is not a question but rather a conclusion. I do not know where to post this message since I do not think it is a bug of B4R but rather a difference in behaviour derived from the ESP8266 core. Consider the following code:

B4X:
#Region Project Attributes
    #AutoFlushLogs: True
    #CheckArrayBounds: True
    #StackBufferSize: 300
#End Region
'Ctrl+Click to open the C code folder: ide://run?File=%WINDIR%\System32\explorer.exe&Args=%PROJECT%\Objects\Src

Sub Process_Globals
    Public Serial1 As Serial
    Dim bc As ByteConverter
End Sub

Private Sub AppStart
    Serial1.Initialize(9600)
    Log("AppStart")
    Dim arr1(200) As Byte
    Dim arr2(210) As Byte

For ii= 0 To 199
        arr1(ii) = 10
    Next

For ii= 0 To 209
        arr2(ii) = 50
    Next

bc.ArrayCopy(arr2, arr1)

For ii = 0 To arr1.Length - 1
        Log(ii, "-", arr1(ii))
    Next

Log("Ok")
End Sub

If you run it in an Arduino Nano (mine uses the old bootloader) it will work fine. If you run it though in an ESP8266 the code will break. If you try to get arr1 larger f.e. Dim arr1(211) As Byte it will work fine. Thus in Arduino Nano it copies larger arrays to smaller ones but in ESP8266 it does not and the code breaks. What one has to do is to make always sure that the length of the array is at least as the one it will copy to it for the ESP8266.

hatzisn

Licensed User
Longtime User
Or use arraycopy2 where you can specify how many bytes to copy.

Yes I know this. I just wanted to point out the different behaviour between Arduino & ESP8266.

Upvote 0

hatzisn

Licensed User
Longtime User
I ended up in this conclusion because of what is written in the explanation of ByteConverter.ArrayCopy as seen in the following picture:

1632642029177.png

Upvote 0