Other Drive a TB6600 or any other which needs 5V with an ESP32/8266

KMatle

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

emexes

Expert
Licensed User
I want to use one of These "big" stepper motor drivers. The output pins of an ESPxxx provide 3.3/3.6V but these drivers need 5V. Does one really need a voltage converter or do These work with the 3.x Volts?
I've so far stuck to using 5V controllers for 5V peripherals, so I haven't got any real-world advice for you, but I did buy a few ESP32s a month ago and thus I will probably soon be travelling this same path. So I did a quick search for interest's sake, didn't find anything that matched your combination precisely, but I did like this post:

https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=496830.0

The only issue I see now is that all new faster micro controllers use 3.3v (5v Tolerant) inputs and all the outputs are mostly 3.3v. This will not work with the stepper driver 5v signals for pulse and direction. I know this won't work because I have tried it.

The thread then goes on to discuss various ways of level shifting. Bonus!

:)

Upvote 0

emexes

Expert
Licensed User
I think I will continue this with a Raspberry and stay with my ESPs where I am :D
That should work great, especially if you have access to counter/timer peripherals to decouple the timing from the operating system.

I'll probably stick with the ESP32 modules, thus use level converters, eg these :

eBay: 10Pcs 3.3V-5V 4 Channel Logic Level Converter TTL Bi-Directional Shifter Module

which look identical to:

SparkFun Logic Level Converter - Bi-Directional

and are better documented at:

SparkFun: Bi-Directional Logic Level Converter Hookup Guide

Upvote 0

hatzisn

Licensed User
Longtime User
I am completely unfamiliar with stepper motor drivers but maybe with a biderectional logic level converter you will do your job. But still you will have to power the five volt side with five volts.

Edit - Oops, it has already been answered...

Upvote 0

Laurent95

Licensed User
Longtime User
I want to use one of These "big" stepper motor drivers. The output pins of an ESPxxx provide 3.3/3.6V but these drivers need 5V. Does one really need a voltage converter or do These work with the 3.x Volts?

Hello,

Take a look at this driver, it can be used with 3.3V or 5V, https://www.pololu.com/product/2133
But maybe not good for more than 2.5A stepper motors be careful.
No matter in fact TB6600 don't drive properly more than max. 2.5A even if someone tell yu the inverse ;), unless you want see a nice smoke escape :D
You must use TB6600A for 3A, not 1st generation.

Regards

Last edited:
Upvote 0