Android Question Edit Text - Odd Behavior with Physical Keyboard

chrisinky

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have an android device with a physical keyboard.

My app works fine on devices with only a touch screen.

The example here is that there are multiple edittext boxes on the screen.

Textbox1 - 1234
Textbox2 - ABC
Textbox3 - BLANK

My app selects all text in the text box when it has focus, this is so the user can type over, or scan a barcode to replace it easily.

So Say user starts in Textbox1 and scans 1234 (barcode hits enter after scan, focus changed to Textbox2, the text "ABC" is already there AND my app selects it.

On a non-keyboard device, I hit the enter/next button on the on screen keyboard and it leaves the text there and goes to Textbox3.

On the physical keyboard device, if I hit enter in this textbox it clears the text and goes to the next field.

However, if I turn ON the virtual keyboard, on the physical keyboard device, AND even if I use IME.HideKeyboard to keep it hidden, the physical enter key now does NOT clear the text box when hitting enter.

Any ideas on the behavior difference and if I can remedy it without turning on the virtual keyboard?

Many thanks,
Chris

b4x-de

Licensed User
Longtime User
What happens when you use the Tab on the physical keyboard to leave the text field? Does this replace the content of the field?

(Is the text field Multiline?)

Upvote 0

chrisinky

Licensed User
Longtime User
What happens when you use the Tab on the physical keyboard to leave the text field? Does this replace the content of the field?

(Is the text field Multiline?)
It is not multiline, - using tab would require modifying the physical keyboard settings on every customers devices, which isn't an option sadly.

Upvote 0

b4x-de

Licensed User
Longtime User
Could you please provide a small test program that causes the issue on your keyboard? I would like to run it on my tablet (with Bluetooth keyboard) and on an old Blackberry Device with a physical keyboard.

Upvote 0