[Electronics] voltage adjusting

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by sorex, Jun 22, 2019.

1. sorex

sorex Expert Licensed User

Howdy,

A few days ago I digged into an old server in our server room.

I recuperated a nice 210+CFM / 6500RPM / 65db / 35W 12x12x3.8cm fan out of it.

While this beast blows everything from my desk when feeding 12V to it I was wondering how I could adjust the voltage of this so that it operates about at half the speed/noise.

I know the oldskool potentio or fixed resistor method but then I don't know how to calculate which max K resistance value I need.

Are there electronic methods as mini boards aswell that can act as a stepper voltage relay kind of thing that can be triggered by a raspberry pi?

I tried to use one of the 2 USB ports on the solar controller but the limited amperage doesn't seem enough to let the fan spin at 5V.

Alternatively I could look for another fan aswell that does 120CFM or so at 30db

2. sorex

forgot to mention that the fan had a 4 wire connector so it's PWM based. that could be the reason why 5V fails since it needs 12V pulses to control the speed.

so I need a PWM controller board to get this working?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  3. Johan Hormaza

Johan Hormaza Active Member Licensed User

You can use this circuit

Attached Files:

Johan Schoeman likes this.
  4. Cableguy

Cableguy Expert Licensed User

PWM is a bit over kill... A simple 3 component circuit using a 7806 should do the trick

I didn't see the 4wire post... So athe proposed circuit should do the job

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  5. sorex

I'm not good with electronics so something ready made would be the best I guess. :)

There are PWM boards on aliexpress for 1 to 5 euros but most of them have 2 leads going to the 'motor'.
    Not sure if that is enough for this PWM fan tho. one extra pin is for the tacho/rpm and one for PWM.
    not sure what the PWM on is needed for tho if you could do it on the main 2 pins aswell.

Johan Hormaza likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice