Android Question Error launching app from IDE

ThePlankton

Licensed User
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong but I'm getting this error across all my projects when I attempt to run in debug mode. It doesn't appear to be hitting any of my code yet when the error happens. Happens maybe 50% of the time. It'll happen 4-5 times in a row before the app will actually launch on the device. Any help would be appreciated.

B4X:
java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to create service com.pam.dispatch.starter: java.lang.RuntimeException: java.io.EOFException
    at android.app.ActivityThread.handleCreateService(ActivityThread.java:3795)
    at android.app.ActivityThread.access$1400(ActivityThread.java:242)
    at android.app.ActivityThread$H.handleMessage(ActivityThread.java:1825)
    at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:106)
    at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:214)
    at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:7179)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
    at com.android.internal.os.RuntimeInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(RuntimeInit.java:494)
    at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:975)
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: java.io.EOFException
    at anywheresoftware.b4a.shell.Shell.virtualAssets(Shell.java:164)
    at anywheresoftware.b4a.shell.Shell.start(Shell.java:102)
    at anywheresoftware.b4a.ShellBA.raiseEvent2(ShellBA.java:92)
    at com.pam.dispatch.starter.onCreate(starter.java:34)
    at android.app.ActivityThread.handleCreateService(ActivityThread.java:3783)
    ... 8 more
Caused by: java.io.EOFException
    at java.io.DataInputStream.readFully(DataInputStream.java:200)
    at java.io.DataInputStream.readInt(DataInputStream.java:389)
    at anywheresoftware.b4a.shell.Shell.virtualAssets(Shell.java:136)
    ... 12 more

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
It looks like the debugger is getting an end-of-file exception when trying to read the virtual assets file. This should not happen as this is not part of your code but is part of the debugger code. It is odd that it is occurring across several projects and even odder that it sometimes works. Your device isn't a bit short of memory is it?

Upvote 0

ThePlankton

Licensed User
It looks like the debugger is getting an end-of-file exception when trying to read the virtual assets file. This should not happen as this is not part of your code but is part of the debugger code. It is odd that it is occurring across several projects and even odder that it sometimes works. Your device isn't a bit short of memory is it?
Pretty sure its not a memory issue. Its happening across 3 test devices I have. I am using a bit of an older version of B4A 8.80

Upvote 0

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I am using a bit of an older version of B4A 8.80
Update immediately to the latest version, and and also install a fresh SDK following these instructions exactly. There is no point in not doing this and we cannot help with problems in old B4A versions.

Upvote 0