B4R Question ESP8266 only works when I disconnect from the IDE

daveinhull

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi

Hope someone can point me in the right direction as this is my first look at using an ESP8266 board.

I purchased a XTVTX V3 Wireless Module ESAP8266 ESP-12F WIFI Development board from Amazon and have managed to download a simple flash LED program to it.
However, it only works when I disconnect it from the IDE and as soon as I connect it, it stops.
I think I've set the correct board (NodeMCU 1.0 (ESP-12E Module))

Has anyone some thoughts on what i might be doing wrong?

Thanks in advance
Dave

daveinhull

Licensed User
Longtime User
@bdunkleysmith, thanks for the feedback and that does explain something I found. While I was trying to get things working I was changing the serial baud rate and when I came to the 74880 I did get a status report from the device, but nothing else.

Thanks also for your suggesiton on the serial writing, but I forgot that my old device just doesn't work when it is connected to the B4R IDE so neither serial.write or Log works anyway.

@All, just an updated. I'm not too usre what I might have done, but it doesn't now flash the screen anymore, it just outputs the random characters (which I can live with) and then starts outputing my Log messages.

Anyway, thanks for the help I think I'm now on my way ....

Dave

Upvote 0

daveinhull

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

So, thought it was fixed, but its starting doing the log screen flashing again - seems random. I wanted to attached a short video of what it is doing, but can't as its not an accepted file type. While its flashing, if I hold the left mouse button down it stops until I release it and then it starts.

Could this flashing be somehting to do with recioeving one of the random chacters?

Dave

Upvote 0

ilpesce

Licensed User
Longtime User
Unfortunately, I also happened to ...
to save a few euros I lost several hours.
Even if it's an old discussion, it might still be of interest to someone.

I have partially solved it, disabling the internal serial monitor of b4r
za6twuc7j0BTbrsqIJrHsT0tvXD2Kuf4i5kfBKqFGfVjC9M0bdqxyW94M27T4qpUiISL5yVk2GmIutaxzEXA63Fjv0ZqHbpK0ircUFCtcSMKqUEkX6fJiMI9JHiovA-GvuceUqtdPJ0ss2-xCOpdD4yVn52DyflNczXzn7qti-xLMZ0VrLZzPprp_A

and used CoolTerm (a free serial monitor)
to connect and view the log,

VERY IMPORTANT
to set initial DTR and RTS to off.
(it would be great if these options were added to the serial monitor of future versions of B4R)

4QasTeO4vqqv4aIEH7ZwUk5HWk8ANC7a0aYgTSjnnAbX39CyvN2leBhjtHkSRlKNcF1ro00hX08hBn_s0DyJC-YFYxf7-Ll6qYhTvm7Oc6J0LP-ToJspFESVfuIH1M0LKXX6_AtE_-Tg82enx80BgBBawI3PGoLwVsjuxmPkcLBDquvgPZ_5W6KL6g

CoolTerm must be disconnected during programming.
Of course, I will no longer purchase this card model.
Greetings

Upvote 0