Android Question ExoPlayer - Ultra-high-definition (UHD) support?

ThRuST

Licensed User
Longtime User
Have anyone successfully played UHD video quality using the ExoPlayer for B4A? (4000 pixels +) I couldn't get it to work, but 1920x1080 px works fine.
I need to use high quality videos, also for B4i so also comment what library that supports it. The video was not added to the assets only loaded online
using CreateUriSource but that didn't play the video. Only wait for app to continue was showing, then crashed. Thanks

ThRuST

Licensed User
Longtime User
Samsung Galaxy J5 - Debug mode
Video is UHD

B4X:
sources.Add(player1.CreateUriSource("https://www.duologic.se/mindfulness/video1.mp4"))

Logger connected to: samsung SM-J510FN
--------- beginning of main
Copying updated assets files (8)
*** Service (starter) Create ***
** Service (starter) Start **
** Activity (main) Create, isFirst = true **
** Activity (main) Resume **
Error: com.google.android.exoplayer2.mediacodec.MediaCodecRenderer$DecoderInitializationException: Decoder init failed: OMX.qcom.video.decoder.avc, Format(1, null, null, video/avc, null, -1, null, [3840, 2160, 25.0], [-1, -1])
** Activity (main) Pause, UserClosed = false **

Upvote 0

OliverA

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Your device probably doesn't support 4k videos. ExoPlayer should be able to play such videos if the device supports them.
Samsung Galaxy J5
That's a 720p device on which you are trying to play a 2160p video. Have successfully played a 4K video on your J5 (ExoPlayer or no ExoPlayer)? Was it really playing back 4K?

Upvote 0

Almora

Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

ThRuST

Licensed User
Longtime User
My link worked with old Firefox v44.0.2 but took at least 2 minutes to load. 4K video link didn't work in Firefox but played in Google Chrome v79.0.3945.130 (Official version) (64 bits) with split views top/bottom. Tested on my PC. If I understand this correctly a device must use the same number of pixels to support playing of ultra high resolution videos or else there's a codec error message. That might explain why standard 1920x1080 resolution works on most, if not all devices. I got the idea to use UHD videos to cast my new mindfulness app from a Lenovo tab2 tablet to the wall TV, but since the ocean video had large pixels I tried UHD videos, and ran across this supporting issue.
To use lower resolution videos will solve it for most users. Sometimes ideas are ahead of the market expansion so that's a parameter to considder in a project plan.

Upvote 0

Pendrush

Licensed User
Longtime User
It was updated today actually but still the same issue
They say you have to use a singal instance at a time but i dont know how to do that in b4a
This means that only one instance of player is being used.
Try to use only one instance of ExoPlayer.

Upvote 0