"Externa Files" Link

Caravelle

Licensed User
Longtime User
In the main Help, under FileOpen, and possibly elsewhere, there is a link to "External Files". When clicked it returns "This program cannot display the webpage".

Caravelle

specci48

Licensed User
Longtime User
The offline help (which you have probably used) contains some links to external sources on the internet...
That's o.k. but the missing help link points to a file named "external files" (see post #2), not to an external source in the internet.

So this "bug" could be easily fixed with the next version of basic4ppc. :)

specci48

Caravelle

Licensed User
Longtime User
Maybe a link at the top of the offline Help menu pointing to the online help would encourage more people to use it. When you've just downloaded and installed the program you're not aware of all there is to find online.

Personally I'm an old-fashioned sort - when I finally find the topic I'm looking for I print it out and keep it in a clip file. Byy the time I've closed down a screen of help to carry on programming, I've forgotten exactly what it said. Give me a real well-indexed paper manual every time :)

Caravelle

Ariel_Z

Licensed User
I see your point. I think a link to the online resource is a good idea. I also think maybe right after the installation a small window with, say, three "help basics" should direct you to the most frequently used resources.

Caravelle

Licensed User
Longtime User
It's the way to go. Many programs I use have items in the Help menu which are links to online help, a relevant Forum (eg here) or even a support e-mail address - for your sake, the latter should lead to a web-page of FAQs and advice to only contact support if really necessary :)

It would be really handy to have a direct link to this forum.

I can think of some unfriendly Microsoft programs that take you online without warning when you click Help, without any other option.

Caravelle