ExternalWritable on nexus

drgottjr

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
phone is supplied 16gb memory but no sd slot. tests for externalwritable fail. this is no particular problem, except for downloaded libraries that make the test (osmdroid, as an example). any thoughts on a workaround? thanks
-go

NJDude

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I have a Nexus 7 tab and the folowing code works:
B4X:
If File.ExternalWritable Then

ToastMessageShow("It is writable", False)

End If

You mentioned "phone", is that a Nexus 4 phone?, I don't have one, but I'm guessing the code above should also work.

Upvote 0

drgottjr

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
If there is no sdcard slot the test should fail. Not sure what you are asking. Can you explain more.

osmdroid library (in this particular case) tests for sd slot (file.externalwritable). this is where it stores its map tiles. if the test is false, the library doesn't work.

the nexus phone doesn't have an sd slot, so the test will be false. but it does have 16gb of writable memory. i'm guessing the tiles could go there, no? i'm also guessing that tests for external memory were written before someone decided to forego the sd slot.

i realize there may be a big difference between how the os sees dirinternal
and external memory; i don't mean to minimize it. for my own code to run on my nexus, i've just removed the test. my 16gb seem to be in dirinternal now which may or may not be a good thing for a lot of code.

Upvote 0