Android Question FileProvider - change which email client it is using

andyp

Licensed User
Hi

Using FileProvider https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/class-fileprovider-share-files.97865/ to send an email with attachment. On the first run of the app, I can pick which email program I want to use.

But what if I later change my mind - or want the app to give the email program options each time an email is to be sent - how can I implement this? If seems even uninstalling the app does not reset the choice......

Thank you
Andrew

Last edited:

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

andyp

Licensed User
Thank you - that works...

Is there any way to configure so my app will request the user choose the email client each time an email is sent, when using fileprovider?

Thanks
Andrew

Upvote 0

andyp

Licensed User
Where should I see the option of always / open once?

I get a screen ‘complete action using’, with no other options....

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Where should I see the option of always / open once?
in my device i get the question and i (the device user) have the chanc to select one an click on OPEN ONCE or OPEN ALWAYS.
If is choose open once i´l get the same question next time.
If i choose open always no more questions are shown instead the selected item will be used always.

Upvote 0

andyp

Licensed User
Hummm... I don’t get that choice....

Would be really nice if one day fileprovider could have an option to allow the user to pick a different client each time if required.

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Would be really nice if one day fileprovider could have an option to allow the user to pick a different client each time if required.
It has nothing to do with Fileprovider. It is a feature of Android to show the selection and to give the user a choice to open it once or always.
It may be differently implemented in different Androids.

Edit to add:
Found in internet.
My understanding is that before 6.0 you could select one of the two options "just once" or "always" when selecting an app to open a file. Now, however, it seems that the option for "just once" doesn't exist and it automatically assumes you want to use that app "always" for files of those types.
So it seems that always is the default since Android 6.

Upvote 0