Share My Creation Find me (simple GPS locator and reverse geocoder)

My first B4A app :)

This will show you exactly where you are on a hybrid satellite map (as a blue marker labelled Y) and underneath the map it will give you a postal address including post code for your current location.

There is only one button on screen, touch it to search for your current location, keep the button pressed longer and it will ask if you want to exit the app. It also checks to see if your devices internet connection is a slower type (such as GPRS) and if so will warn you that the map picture may take thirty seconds or so to display.

For the occasions when it cannot get a post code from the server it will show the current locations gps co-ordinates instead.

Tested on a 320x480 2.2 LG phone and also, for checking the display at alternate resolutions, in HVGA resolution on an emulator. Nice transparent png icon included should any one want to use this so it will look nice in a folder view.

I am a newb so please, if you find any errors or you see ways to make it better, I can take criticism :)

Dave

Attachments

• FindMe.zip
    130 KB · Views: 1,744

mistermentality

Licensed User
Longtime User
That's odd as that was a file I ended up not using and it compiled fine without it but if it helps the new zip attached here includes that file as well :sign0013:

Dave

Attachments

• find me.zip
    140.6 KB · Views: 1,312

asawyer13

Licensed User
Longtime User
I like it. It didn't find my postal address, but it did find my house.

Thanks for sharing.

Alan

mistermentality

Licensed User
Longtime User
Glad you like it :)

It should show a postal address (the reverse geocode site it uses does show postal addresses for USA and UK) so if it didn't you should have got the gps co-ordinates displayed instead.

I know when I was testing it over the past few days there were odd occasions when it showed a less exact address especially at night and indoors when my phone didn't have a very good signal which lessened the gps accuracy but glad the map showed your location.

The servers used for the map and the address are different so even if one was to go down the other would return a result, which is good, for me it has shown the postcode and address but I will keep checking the postal address checker and if it stops working will use google for the reverse geocode if needed although they don't seem to show post codes for some reason.

Thanks for the feedback :)

Edit: Postal location server appears to be down again as it is not showing me the address for my location either now. I guess I shall have to delve into learning strings and finding specific ones and try parsing googles reverse geocode data if it carries on. That would show the street address but not post code and returns a large amount of text to navigate which I don't have the experience yet to try but I may yet have to

Dave

Last edited:

mistermentality

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you, like your apps (the MapView one didn't show any maps unfortunately but the second app did) and impressed how you got the map filling the screen. Some very impressive coding there, which I hope to be able to achieve when I'm more used to the language :)

Dave