B4R Question First time with Arduino. Hate Arduino. Help

Tronak

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello group,

I have some experience with B4A and also B4J for Raspberry, and I though B4R should be more or less the same thing, but this is not working. The tutorials say if I connect the board with an USB cable, select the right board in the B4R, and download a program, everything should be fine. But in my case I get an ugly:

"Compiling & deploying Ino project (Arduino/Genuino Uno - COM7) Error
An error occurred while uploading the sketch"

And that's it. Nothing happens. Tried with an Arduino UNO, and with an ESP8266, and the result is always the same.

Tried to use the cryptic and non friendly Arduino programming tool, and does not show errors (for the Uno. The 8266 doesn't work there either)

Is faith involved, or need to be pure at heart to make this thing work? I'm frustrated. Please help.

Tronak

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you Erel for your message.

I tried with the ESP8266 and it works with B4R. The Uno still shows the same error.

A few observations:

-The Uno works with the Arduino IDE.
-The serial configuration is the same for both boards. One works with B4R, the other doesn't.
-When I try to run in B4R as Aruino/Genuino Uno, I get the error described in the first post. Nothing happens in the board.
-When I try to run as Arduino/Genuino Micro, I get the same error, but before that, the board flashes a yellow led (like when you press the reset button).
-Tried in two different computers with Windows 10 and 8.1, and a Microsoft Surface with W8, and the behavior is always the same.
-The Arduino Uno is not an Arduino Uno, but a wannabe called Kuman UNO.

I will get tomorrow a Real-All-Original-Genuine-Italian-Design-By-Pininfarina Arduino Uno to see if there is a problem with the chinese thing, but this one works fine with the Arduino IDE.

Please anybody let me know if this has happened to someone else, or I'm so unique.

Upvote 0

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
can't it be a timeout issue? I remember my first tries with B4R also failed, then I augmented the timeout value, and it started compiling OK (mine is currently at 120s)

Upvote 0

Tronak

Licensed User
Longtime User
Today I tried with a genuine Arduino Uno, and the behavior is the same:

-It works with the Arduino IDE
-This one uses COM10 instead of COM7, but is automatically selected by B4R, and is the same port used in the IDE.
-Something should happen when I press the Connect button in the Logs tab? Because nothing happens when I press it.
-When I try to download/run a program, it shows the progress window, and after near 10s says: "An error occurred while uploading the sketch"
-I have tried with several timeout values. Currently 200s, but none worked.

There is some log file where I can get more details about the error?
The weird part is the IDE works always, and the B4R works with the ESP8266 board, but not with the UNO.

Upvote 0

Tronak

Licensed User
Longtime User
Found it.

The B4X version v1.20 was released on July 7, 2016. The newest version of the IDE is the 1.6.10, released on July 26, 2016. The previous version, 1.6.9 was released on May 5, 2016 so probably that is the version used for the release of the B4X. Probably the files included, or code you are referencing has changed in the newest version making it incompatible, and I happen to be the only lucky guy who tried to start his journey into the mysteries of IOT on this week, so this problem with the versions has not affected other people so far, (or they have been shy).

The combination of B4X v1.20 and IDE v1.6.9 works fine with both Uno and ESP8266 boards. Please confirm if you can reproduce the incompatibility with the IDE 1.6.10 for UNO boards.

Upvote 0