Font and Font size comboboxes in a toolstrip

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi guys....

I'm picking up an old project of mine, wich consisted in a 3 part app, one of wich should be a very basic, yet complete "text editor", wich is based upon the rtf control...I added a toolstrip in an effort to make the apearence a bit nicer and professional, as this is intented to be used by my boss;:sign0161:.
I started colecting icons for the toolstrip, and for now I am just populating it with the "I think I need this" controls...
Among several others, I want to include 2 comboboxes, one with the fonts list, another with the fonts available sizes..
Has anyone ever tryed this, any thought on how to even start...
I was thinking of getting the fonts from the fonts directories, but how do I get the available sizes for each font?
:sign0085::sign0085:

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
but how do I get the available sizes for each font?
You don't! Most fonts can be drawn any size you want. Font size is actually specified as a Float so doesn't it even need to be an integer. Font sizes are usually measured in Points which are 1/72 of an inch or 0.353 mm and the physical size displayed depends upon the dpi of the display or printer. A normal screen is usually 96dpi. Note that the size is not the size the letter is displayed but is the height of an uppercase "M" plus the height(!) of the descender of a "y" or "q".
Typography can get a bit complicated on the desktop. :sign0137:

ImageLibEx NormalFont and GDI+Desktop Font have a Fonts property that returns an array of the installed fonts. Their demos show these in a Msgbox when they start.

Last edited: