Java Question Forced upgrade to Android Studio

canalrun

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello,
I was working on a wrapper to use feature detection in OpenCV. To build the OpenCV jar it wanted me to update my SDKs. I did that and then ADT wanted me to upgrade to the new version of ADT. That failed trying to go from version 22 to 23 – a Google search found many others with the same complaint.

I guess Android Studio version 1.0 was released December 6 and support stopped for the eclipse/ADT plug-in.

To compile my wrappers I use the Simple Library Compiler, but I use the syntax checking and quick fixes within eclipse/ADT editor to develop the source files.

Hopefully the same approach will work in Android Studio. Has anyone tried this? Can anyone offer tips for using Android Studio? I do APKs in B4A, but for wrappers I used eclipse/ADT.

I've just started with Android Studio. Hopefully I can be pointed in the right direction.

Thanks,
Barry.

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I thought about this as well.

When writing wrappers for B4A we normally export them as jar-files and not Android specific code. In Android Studio I don't think we can export our libraries like we do in Eclipse so this may become a problem especially if most projects (on GitHub for instance) will become/converted into Android Studio projects.

stevel05

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

canalrun

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello,
That's some good info, thanks.

I played around with Android Studio for several hours. I was having some success if I chose File – New Module and then selected Java Library by scrolling to the bottom of the dialog that opens. I was having problems with my project finding the necessary jar libraries – found something like Project Structure in the File menu and then adding a file dependency after manually pasting the jar file into the project's libs folder. But then it did not import the android jar even though it was shown in the External Libraries (for example it would not resolve android.graphics.bitmap). I gave up at this point.

The other thing I did not like is that it did not seem to have the nice error checking that eclipse/ADT has. I rely on the "quick fixes" to suggest imports. I did not see this in Android Studio.

I found an eclipse/ADT bundle. I don't know how I missed this the other night. I installed eclipse and then added the ADT plug-in. Everyone seems happy now.

http://developer.android.com/sdk/installing/installing-adt.html

Barry.