Free trial in Play Store – possible?

canalrun

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello,
I have a paid app available in Google Play.

What I think I would like to do is offer a Free Trial for the app and then require payment if the user continues to use the app after the several day trial period.

The user would be able to download the app for free, give it a try, and Google would enforce the trial period and request payment.

I have searched for this and thought I found something from 2012, but the articles always become confusing with whether they are talking about subscriptions, recurring payments, in-app stuff that I have to enforce, or something else …

I have not found a real answer. I think Apple allows something like this.

Does a Google enforced free trial period option exist for paid apps?

Thanks,
Barry.

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
You can use AppInBilling Library.
https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/t...billing-v3-tutorial.29997/page-10#post-523053

App will have to put it free.

First Method.
The app has limited features, to activate all the features you will need to purchase and pay with AppInBilling. Buying the library will return you a value indicating your purchase. This value can always be verified by having an internet connection. In any case, I suggest that you keep a file inside the App private folder, which tells you if you have purchased the features so you can be hurt even if it is not connected to the internet.
You can create this product from Google Developer Console, in the Product field in App.
In addition to limited functions, you can decide to set a limited time period. At the installation, you can create an internal file with the date of the first boot. Can you calculate a one month period (or a seventh as you prefer). After the period has expired, you will be prompted for the purchase request with AppInBilling

Second method.
Always with AppInBilling you can create and purchase a product as a subscription. You can set up the first month for free on Google Developer Console.

canalrun

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks. This is a possibility. I have not used in-app-billing since version 1, I think. I'm sure there must be some improvements.

Seems like "Paid, with Trial period" would be a simple function for Google to have.

Barry.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Seems like "Paid, with Trial period" would be a simple function for Google to have.

They have it. Its called free with in app purchase

User download the free app on first start u save the date and after x days of use app will work only after purchasing the full version package. ;)

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
There are many methods:
1) At the first start check whether the device's unique code on a cloud of your choice. If it does not exist it means that it is the first boot, I enter the code in the cloud. In case the code exists, the date of insertion occurs in the cloud.
(See this post for the id code of the device https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/android-device-unique-id-alternative-to-phoneid.14759/)

2) You can store the first boot time in a file that is stored in an external folder to the App. It could be the root or a folder unsuspecting. I would put the file with the date of the first boot in the DCIM folder (that used for photos) or audio. The file name should still be unsustainable. Type "thumbale.dtt"

3) I can not think of all the solutions I, something I think you too :)

Last edited:

canalrun

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks. All good suggestions.

I think they are applicable to apps with a higher volume expectation and for apps where income generation is more important.

The app in question is targeted toward a very small, specific group of users who are probably not at all technically knowledgeable.

I set the app as "paid" only to generate token income. I would rather make it free than go through the effort of checking install dates, managing in-app-billing, and possibly surprising the user when a "pay-me" dialog pops up.

I wish Google would have something they fully support that clearly announces: This is a free download and X day trial, you will be asked to purchase the app to continue using it after the trial.

Barry.