Gecoh - A Windows Mobile repository/package installer

N1c0_ds

Licensed User
I figured out the best place to get help and support would be from Basic4PPC users. You indubitably know Basic4PPC better than me

So that's what I'm working on. I found a huge support from XDA Developers and people are eager to see this project gain momentum.

However I heard SQL would be the best thing for the database but I don't know anything about this. Could anyone tell me about this and how it works? I'm looking at the samples, the Wiki, the SQL website but I don't get much of it...

Meanwhile I'll be working on a kickass UI ^_^

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I like the Idea...
Abou a name, how about AppRollerDex?
I will be registring soon...

Mr_Gee

Licensed User
Longtime User
I figured out the best place to get help and support would be from Basic4PPC users. You indubitably know Basic4PPC better than me

So that's what I'm working on. I found a huge support from XDA Developers and people are eager to see this project gain momentum.

However I heard SQL would be the best thing for the database but I don't know anything about this. Could anyone tell me about this and how it works? I'm looking at the samples, the Wiki, the SQL website but I don't get much of it...

Meanwhile I'll be working on a kickass UI ^_^

Glad to see you liked my idea ;)
I'll be willing to help with SQLite if you need any

BTW. this is the proof of concept I mentioned
http://www.b4x.com/forum/share-your...date-quickly-check-your-library-versions.html
It is is using xml files to describe the dll files

maybe we come up with a combination of xml and sql... would be a nice project :)

or complete sql, using the http lib...
that way the user would only see what they want/ need, there wouldn't be any need to download anything... well obviously there would be data .. but you know what i mean

Last edited:

N1c0_ds

Licensed User
Glad to see you liked my idea ;)
I'll be willing to help with SQLite if you need any

BTW. this is the proof of concept I mentioned
http://www.b4x.com/forum/share-your...date-quickly-check-your-library-versions.html
It is is using xml files to describe the dll files

maybe we come up with a combination of xml and sql... would be a nice project :)

or complete sql, using the http lib...
that way the user would only see what they want/ need, there wouldn't be any need to download anything... well obviously there would be data .. but you know what i mean

That's what I was suggested, complete SQL, but I don't know how to set this up at all, especially on the server side. I might have a server for this however.

Also the codename is Gecoh (Get Every Cab Only Here), it's from a XDA Developer. We might switch to "Gecko" for the release version.

The icon, along with the most recent changes and updates are found here:
The Gecoh project - Submit your apps NOW! - xda-developers

Mr_Gee

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have some knowledge on PHP & MySQL and I have my own server
which I/we can use for testing

The only thing I could use some help with is security, that is not one of my strong points

The reason why I mentioned xml is that some people (myself included) are using apptodate, an I can imagine it is annoying to update the information more than once.

N1c0_ds

Licensed User
The problem is that I don't understand what SQL is. I don't know how it works, what files it uses, what it does...

Could someone sort this out for me? I tried Wikipedia, the SQL example and the SQLite page to no avail. Can it work with XML?

Mr_Gee

Licensed User
Longtime User
SQL is a language, and an application

SQL Structured Query Language is used to "talk" to a SQL database
you could see a SQL DB as a Excel workbook
each worksheet is a table and the different tabels can be related to each other...

N1c0_ds

Licensed User
SQL is a language, and an application

SQL Structured Query Language is used to "talk" to a SQL database
you could see a SQL DB as a Excel workbook
each worksheet is a table and the different tabels can be related to each other...

So SQL is both Excel and the Excel workbook?

I found a really complete tutorial for SQL on W3Schools and it answered a lot of my questions. It explained the syntax and how it worked (pretty simple if you ask) but there's still a few things I don't know:

-Do I need to have a designated server for this? I have a generous friend that donated some of his server space to me since it's very impractical for me to maintain one. However I doubt he will allow me to reconfigure the whole thing!

-I still don't understand where and how the databases are stored! :p

Last edited:

Mr_Gee

Licensed User
Longtime User
So SQL is both Excel and the Excel workbook?

I found a really complete tutorial for SQL on W3Schools and it answered a lot of my questions. It explained the syntax and how it worked (pretty simple if you ask) but there's still a few things I don't know:

-Do I need to have a designated server for this? I have a generous friend that donated some of his server space to me since it's very impractical for me to maintain one. However I doubt he will allow me to reconfigure the whole thing!

-I still don't understand where and how the databases are stored! :p
Sorry I typed the above quicly...
Let me give it another try...

Check out this site for a answer to "what is SQL"
SQLCourse - Lesson 1: What is SQL?

SQL is not Excel, I used the parable excel because it's easier to understand, so forget I mentioned it.

This is the structure of an SQLDB (relational DB)
B4X:
SQL DataBase
    - Database1
        -UserID
        -FirstName
        -Birtday 
        -AddressID
    - Database2
        -AddressID 
        -Street
        -City
        -Country
In this I could ask the database questions, show me all the users with the name "adam", in SQL that would be
SELECT * FROM Database1 WHERE FirstName = 'adam'
this would show me a list of people who's first name is Adam...

I mentioned a "relational DB" because Database1 & 2 are related to each other, the AddressID is in both DB's this means
1. I can link them together
2. people can have the same address, but each address will only be in there once, this reduces the amount of data in the DB

There is more to SQL, if you want to learn more i suggest the internet, that is how I started...
to answer the other questions,
-You need a server for this, it doesn't need to be a dedicated server, unless you will have a lot of trafic/data
If your friend has build his own server it is very likely that he has a SQL DB or knows how to install it (its just as easy as installing Apache)
If he got the domain in a package with a hosting provider, chances are that an SQL server is already included...

-Sorry I cannot help you with this, all I know is SQL needs to be installed as a package on a server, I'm assuming there are a lot of files..
For B4PPC you can use SQLite this is a local file which works as a SQLserver...

Let me know if you have any more questions

N1c0_ds

Licensed User
I'll just download the file and interpret it onboard then. It will allow anyone to host a repository list (i.e. the XDA devs repository, the Modaco repository...)

I only have to find a database editing tool now.

Don't forget to send your apps, it's free!

Mr_Gee

Licensed User
Longtime User
in that case you need someone to update the "master" file
the user would download that and have all the entries...
why?
having several DB's is not a good option IMHO

If your using firefor you can get an SQLite manager, works pretty well,
also Erel made an SQLite application, it's somewhere on this forum

N1c0_ds

Licensed User
There will be one master file, but in case someone wants to start its own list, he might make one and then host it. XDA-Developers will probably make one for themselves.

Gotta go, I'll provide details tonight!
Have a good day!

N1c0_ds

Licensed User
What is the file type for an offline database? That's exactly what I'd need but I can't find any information about it. The .sl3 file in the sample seems to exist only in the sample! There's no info about FL3 files on google :(

Mr_Gee

Licensed User
Longtime User
There is no extention....
have you checked the Manila files, most of them are SQLite DB's

you can use any extention you want
I think in the example the use northwind.sl3, if the file doesn't exist it will be created.. but i'm nopt sure
why don't you give that a go.

Alternatively get the FF plugin I mentioned you can create DB's with that one once created you can copy paste it in your AppPath

Last edited:

N1c0_ds

Licensed User
I managed to create and use my own SQL DB so things are going extremely well!

Feel free to submit your applications people.

Mr_Gee

Licensed User
Longtime User
SInce you are going with multiple DB's I'm assuming you
will also have a txt file where the user can enter his/her repositories
(the url of the different DB's)

N1c0_ds

Licensed User
Oh but I understand now!

I even loaded a table with it. I also got the search function completed (fixed case insensitive search).

What I love with SQL is that it can get, say, the entries 101-111 and show them. I'll use this with a scrollbox (more like a finger box actually) and 10 labels so it looks great and doesn't take an awful time to load.

I'll be back tonight with more details, thanks an awful lot for your help!

N1c0_ds

Licensed User
Thanks Girvo!

I got it going pretty well.

As for making the databases, I use LoadCSV and then move that table to an SQL file. It works well!