Get a input string from user

vinians

Licensed User
Longtime User
There are a function to get a string from user like InputBox or I need to create a form do do this task?

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Usually we use a panel with a label describing/asking an input and a textbox for the user to input and a button to trigger the input action....but its also simple to create a custom control (dll) with this function...

dzt

Licensed User
Usually we use a panel with a label describing/asking an input and a textbox for the user to input and a button to trigger the input action

For what Cableguy describing above look at this thread http://www.b4x.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108

....but its also simple to create a custom control (dll) with this function...

Hello Cableguy,

It won't be difficult to create a clone of your AboutPanel library (named for example InputBox and using .ShowDialog) to act like a modal InputBox. Think about it, no hurry at all, we all can wait until... this evening ;)

Cheers

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
"Your system will melt down in 10....9...8....7..."

Well, almost.....Got a virus and had to re-install my system.....

That part is done, now I have to re-install and configure all the other apps, including b4ppc and sharpdevelop....:sign0148:

Hopefully I'll have all working by tomorow and start on the imput panel....

In the meantime, please provide some props/features that you would like to see in an input panel, and if possible, a graphical example of how it would look....

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
InputPanel is now in its coding stage, but a doubt has rised....

I learned how to manage button click events inside the class, but how can I pass it to b4ppc?

I have contructed the click event....what do i put inside it? a simple get/set?

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
B4X:
'btn1 is the OK button, so it should pass the textbox(txt) value....
private void btn1_Click(System.Object sender, System.EventArgs e)
      {
         get{ return txt.text;}
      }
'btn2 is the Clear button, so it should Clear the textbox(txt) value....
private void btn1_Click(System.Object sender, System.EventArgs e)
      {
         txt.text=""
      }

Would this be correct???

When validating user input, whats the best form of action, to hide the panel or to dispose of it?

dzt

Licensed User
Hello,

To show a modal dialog use .showdialog

B4X:
[SIZE=2][COLOR=#008000][B][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]public [/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][SIZE=2][COLOR=#ff0000]string [/COLOR][/SIZE][B][SIZE=2][COLOR=#191970]Show[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][SIZE=2][COLOR=#006400]()[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][COLOR=#006400]{[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000]  frmInputBox[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#006400].[/COLOR][/SIZE][B][SIZE=2][COLOR=#191970]ShowDialog[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][SIZE=2][COLOR=#006400]();[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=2][COLOR=#000080]  return [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000]StringTypedByUser[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#006400];[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][COLOR=#006400]}[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

And to close your InputBox...

B4X:
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=#0000ff]private [/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][SIZE=2][COLOR=#ff0000]void [/COLOR][/SIZE][B][SIZE=2][COLOR=#191970]btnOK_Click[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][SIZE=2][COLOR=#006400]([/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2]System[/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#006400].[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2]Object sender[/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#006400], [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2]System[/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#006400].[/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=2]EventArgs e[/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#006400]) [/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][COLOR=#006400]{[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]  frmInputBox[/SIZE][SIZE=2][COLOR=#006400].[/COLOR][/SIZE][B][SIZE=2][COLOR=#191970]Close[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][SIZE=2][COLOR=#006400]();[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][COLOR=#006400]}[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Last edited:

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Well I ahd a litle time today at work, so I created an almost fully customizable input panel in basic4ppc...

If its good enought, I'll passe it to a dll...hopefully by the weekend....

Attachments

• Test.sbp
    1.9 KB · Views: 313