Android Question GNSS - Intermittent Galileo Satellite Detection

dlfallen

Licensed User
Longtime User
I recently acquired a new tablet that should detect Galileo satellites. It is a 2019 8 in. Samsung Galaxy Tab A (SM-T290).

I sought to update my GPS app (GPSlog) to use Agraham's GNSS library. That part went smoothly and Agraham has my deep respect and gratitude for the great library and the comprehensive example program he provided.

My new tablet does detect the Galileo satellites but not consistently. GPS, GLONASS, AND QZSS satellites are consistently detected. I do not believe the intermittent detection of the Galileo satellites is a problem arising from the GNSS library. I have the same problem with a couple of programs downloaded from the Play Store. Using Agraham's sample program, here are two screen shots that illustrate the problem:

:
Screenshot_20201008-190344.jpg
Screenshot_20201008-185859.jpg

After a while, the Galileo satellites will re appear. Does anyone know a reasons for this odd behavior in detecting Galileo satellites?
Screenshot_20201008-185859.jpgScreenshot_20201008-190344.jpg

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I have a 2019 8 in. Samsung Galaxy Tab A LTE (SM-T295) and see something similar. When I start GPS Test Plus from the store it shows the location of the Galileo satellites on its constellation map but shows zero signal strength for them all. After a while it seems to start to see them. As you see it too I suspect it is a 'feature' of the tablet.

Upvote 0

dlfallen

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have a 2019 8 in. Samsung Galaxy Tab A LTE (SM-T295) and see something similar. When I start GPS Test Plus from the store it shows the location of the Galileo satellites on its constellation map but shows zero signal strength for them all. After a while it seems to start to see them. As you see it too I suspect it is a 'feature' of the tablet.
I also suspect it is a hardware "feature" of the Galaxy tab A. The sad thing is, there is no way to tell how the GNSS is going to perform in any given tablet before you buy it. You can't even get the specs. The Galileo satellites make a difference. With them my accuracy is just over 3 meters. When the Galileo satellites fail to register the accuracy drops to 15 meters.
I also suspect it is a hardware "feature" of the Samsung Galaxy Tab A. Sadly it seems impossible to know about this type of "feature" before buying a tablet and testing it. You can't even get the specs most of the time. The Galeleo satellites do make a difference. When they register my accuracy is about 3 meters. When they don't, the accuracy drops to 15 meters.

Upvote 0