Android Question Google Maps Platfrom Restrictions

bocker77

Licensed User
Longtime User
I am getting this email from Google, I presume. My application is not being distributed on Playstore and is only being used by myself and friends. The instructions are bogus because it wants a payment. I seen a thread in forum about this but is in Italian mostly. I don't trust Google to not charge me even though it mentions, sort of, that it won't. Will that part of my application still work if I do nothing?

Protect your API keys with recommended restrictions
Hello Greg,​
Some of your Google Maps Platform projects have unrestricted API keys, which can be stolen and lead to unwanted charges.​
To keep your API keys safe, we strongly recommend you secure them by limiting each key's usage to specific apps and websites.​
Click the project links below to access the Credentials section of Google Maps Platform console and click “APPLY RECOMMENDED RESTRICTIONS” for each unrestricted key. Restricting your keys shouldn’t take more than a few minutes.​
Your projects with unrestricted keys
xxxxxxxxx'
You can always change the restrictions later if you need to.​
Learn more about API key best practices.​
Sincerely,
Google Maps Platform Support

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
What this seems to suggest is that you are using a google map API key that will work with *any* application (unrestricted) - meaning that if someone were able to extract the API key from your app, they could use it in *any* other app, and if their API usage is excessive, that unauthorized usage can be charged to YOUR account, because the API is registered to you.

So what this message is doing is suggesting that you should restrict the API key to just YOUR app, so even if someone else finds out the API key, they won't be able to use it in any other app.

Upvote 0

bocker77

Licensed User
Longtime User
Nice explanation, thanks. So the issue would actually be on Google's end where someone could nefariously discover the API key from their site and then apply it to their app. It would not be from them gleaning it from my app. Correct?

Upvote 0

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The highest probability would be getting it from a copy of your app.

Upvote 0

bocker77

Licensed User
Longtime User
Also the following instruction is what I indicated is bogus.

Click the project links below to access the Credentials section of Google Maps Platform console and click “APPLY RECOMMENDED RESTRICTIONS” for each unrestricted key. Restricting your keys shouldn’t take more than a few minutes.

There is no “APPLY RECOMMENDED RESTRICTIONS” on the web page to click on.

Upvote 0

bocker77

Licensed User
Longtime User
After reading more about this on Google I am supposed to be sent to a page to restrict the key but it keeps sending me to a page that wants my credit card number to prove that I am not a robot. What I surmise is that my Google account doesn't have a payment option set. I am not entering any credit card number. So f em.

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

bocker77

Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes I tried but but instead of giving me the screen to do this they sent me to a "Try GoogleMaps Platform" screen which in the end will give me a free 30 day trial. I can't seem to contact anyone at Google that can help me. Imagine that. I am a little perturbed at this point. I just thought that if I got this email/runaround that others on this forum may have also. Apparently I am the only one. Lucky me.

Upvote 0

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
You will probably need to specify a credit card even though they will not charge you for your free usage - they just want to know that *if* you go over your free data quota, that they will then be able to change you for the overage.

Thats how most of google "free" trials work.

One possible way around this is to simply buy a $5 gift card and specify that number to google so then google is happy (because they now have a credit card number on file) and at least you can then get over that hump.

Upvote 0

bocker77

Licensed User
Longtime User
FYI, now Google doesn't like Paypal. They want a credit card or a bank's information. I understand this because they can't just keep billing me without my approval. This just seems like they want to bill me for something or other. I can't remember if I paid them for their key on my initial usage of the Google Maps Platform.

This action couldn't be completed. Try again with a different payment method. Learn more [OR-ACH-04] (I didn't Learn more!!!!!)

The odd part about this is that it says that one can turn restrictions of the key off at anytime in the future. Why bother with all of this if that is so.

Upvote 0

bocker77

Licensed User
Longtime User
Problem solved. Instead of going through the email I followed instructions from their website which provided a link. Once there it started to redirect me to the above screens when I just started clicking on links on the left hand side like a madman and lo and behold I was able to breach their nonsense. API key is now restricted.

Upvote 0