Android Question Amazon Appstore Storage Restrictions

anglia

Licensed User
Longtime User
I find the Google Playstore storage and user access to folders confusing and complicated especially with Android 11 and they seem to be changing quite often.

I intend uploading an app to Amazon Appstore and wondered if Amazon has similar restrictions and if I will run into problems with my idea.

I want my users to be able to transfer a CSV file he/she has produced by a program on their PC into a folder that my app creates. The folder will also be used as the backup folder for an SQLite database and also PDF files produced by my app. Files will be transferred to/from a PC connected to the device with a USB cable using Windows Explorer.

The app will need to run okay on an Android 11 device.

Can anyone see problems with this idea?

jahswant

Licensed User
Longtime User
The app will need to run okay on an Android 11 device.

Can anyone see problems with this idea?
It will soon not be possible to do this with Android 11. I started creating a small B4J App for such purposes using Network. I also share using emails. It's not easy to write to external storage with newer versions of Android.

Upvote 0

anglia

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks to both of you.

I can successfully use Makedir(File.Dirrootexternal,"mydata") to create a folder on Android 11 device with TargetSDKversion set as 28, but not with TargetSDKversion set at 29 or 30.

I've tried using GetSafeDirDefaultExternal but the device will not display the Android/data/... folder that was created.

I'll have another look at ContentChooser to see if I can understand it better.

Does anyone know what Android Appstore require as the TargetSDKversion ?

Upvote 0

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I can successfully use Makedir(File.Dirrootexternal,"mydata") to create a folder on Android 11 device with TargetSDKversion set as 28, but not with TargetSDKversion set at 29 or 30.
That is expected behaviour given the changes in Android 11.
Android 11 storage FAQ. First introduced in Android 10, scoped… | by nandana | Android Developers | Medium

I've tried using GetSafeDirDefaultExternal but the device will not display the Android/data/... folder that was created.
That also, see the link above.

Upvote 0

anglia

Licensed User
Longtime User
I’ve spent many hours looking at members threads and examples of using Contentchooser.

I can’t see how Contentchooser can help me with my requirements for users with an Android 11 device and my app’s TargetSDKVersion set at 30.

I specifically need the ability to-

1. Allow the user to backup a SQLite database to a folder where the folder and/or backup file will not be deleted if the user uninstalls the app.

2. Allow the app to access a CSV file that has been copied from a PC (using a USB cable) to a folder on the device for loading into a SQLite database using LoadCSV.

3. Allow the user access to a single page PDF file produced by the app so that he/she can view/print the PDF file using Adobe Acrobat etc. Also, allow access to the file for sending as an email attachment.

Can anyone please offer help or suggestions on how I might achieve the above.

Thanks

Upvote 0