got a non working iPhone 4gs...

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
My boss knew I was looking for a cheap iPhone to see if it was worth while starting developing and porting to iOS, and so he offered me a 4gs that he claims that worked OK at a given time but due to some sim block (apparently it was network restricted) it ended up blocked with some kind of "stolen device" alert...
What can I do to get it into working condition or where to start looking for info regarding this issue?
I never had an iPhone before, so I had to google out a task so simple as inserting a sim card.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
have you restore your iphone?

when did you get that msg?

if after restore then maybe the settings "find my iphone" was on and you need to ask your boss for his mail and password to unlock it.

if the phone is stolen can be checked here: https://www.icloud.com/activationlock/

btw. there is no 4gs only iphone 4 or iphone 4s (there is a 3gs but not 4gs)

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Sorry ilan... My bad.. Its a 4s.
My boss doesn't remember the email used to ser it up...
I got the phone from my boss "as is" and I know nothing about its history. I trust my boss when he says it was working and with sim changes and perhaps wrong emails it got blocked out. Do you know how to reset the phone?

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I had also an iphone 4s that was locked from the same reason and after trying weeks to reset it and also sent to apple repair store no success but i found out that u can use an iphone also for other use like paper holder on my desk or cup holder ;)

Anyway after ios 7 there is as i know no way to unlock the phone only if your boss got the receipt u can contact apple and proove that its your phone and they will unlock the imei...

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks for taking the time to enlight me. I will investigate...