Share My Creation GPS Bluetooth Sender

Hi all i have made an app to use the phones internal GPS and send it out via bluetooth within an NMEA data stream. I understand there is currently no way to get the native information from the GPS NMEA in B4A so i created this.

Currently it only supports GLL (lat and long) and ZDA (time/date).

Please have a look and let me know if you think i could add improvements.

i am currently looking at making the app continue running even if the screen is off, but at the moment it just lets the screen dim.

also if there are any other sentences you would like added please let me know.

Regards

Stu

Attachments

• Screen.png
    Screen.png
    41.3 KB · Views: 6,491
  • GPS Sender.zip
    9.1 KB · Views: 971
Last edited:

Stulish

Licensed User
Longtime User
Update to v1.0.1

I have just updated the app to send out additional NMEA messages GSV (Satellites in view) and GGA (position with altitude)

And changed the colours and font slightly.

Stu

Attachments

• GPS Sender v1.0.1.zip
    9.1 KB · Views: 681
  • Screen 1.0.1.png
    Screen 1.0.1.png
    59.1 KB · Views: 631
  • Screen 1.0.1 - 2.png
    Screen 1.0.1 - 2.png
    60.3 KB · Views: 507

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
$GPRMC - Recommended minimum specific GPS/Transit data

$GPVTG - Track made good and ground speed

I use these two often.

I get Error Connecting to my Acer A100 from my Nexus 7. IOException: Service Discovery Failed...

Thanks

Stulish

Licensed User
Longtime User
I will look at implementing RMC and VTG, i did have that problem when connecting to my laptop, but only when the laptop comport wasn't on. i will try with some other devices.

Thanks

Stu

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I was thinking that if NMEA was a module, it could be used for both local Android GPS and when using a Bluetooth GPS (which reports NMEA sentences).

It is rather perplexing why Android chose not to provide NMEA - like the rest of the world???

Is there enough info in the GPS data to write complete $GP sentences?

Thanks

Stulish

Licensed User
Longtime User
There isn't enough information with the location service from B4A, but Android does send the NMEA, Erel said he may update the library in the future to send the native NMEA, then there wouldn't be a need to crate the sentences so the program should be faster.

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Did you figure out how to use NMEA in ver 2.3 beta? I looked but could not find anything under GPS and Location that exposed new methods or properties.

Stulish

Licensed User
Longtime User
With 2.3 (i havn't installed yet), use the code below, it will output a timestamp and the native NMEA to the log. you can just paste this into my original example, so long as you have 2.3 with the latest GPS library.

you could just output the Sentence to the serial port this would effectivly pass through the NMEA.

B4X:
Sub GPS_NMEA (TimeStamp As Long, Sentence As String)
log(TimeStamp & ": " & Sentence)
End Sub