GPS Coordinates / City names

JesseW

Licensed User
Longtime User
In an app I'm thinking of writing, I'd need the ability to respond to a button press by turning on the device gps, then get the coordinates, then -and here's the tricky part- return a string to the effect of "14.4 Miles SSW of Tulsa, OK".

Does anyone know of anything like this? I just don't want to re-invent the wheel :)

thanks... --Jesse

derez

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
It seems like a good application for alliens, falling from space to this 14.4 nm SSW of Tulsa.
Besides them , who needs to find such information ? usually you know your general location (to this level) without GPS, and when you have GPS - you are probably better off with position on map.

I don't know of any application like this.

JesseW

Licensed User
Longtime User
...who needs to find such information ?...
i'm a truck driver, and i've been considering writing a mobile log-book app, one that would have integrity in the eyes of the d.o.t. because the city/state would be auto-filled in. now dont you feel silly trying to figure out my intentions instead of just answering the question? remember.. just because you dont know the purpose of the app or the intended audience is no reason to downplay the importance of anothers request...

...I don't know of any application like this.

thanx... :D thats all i needed to know.

anyone else know of anything like this? much appreciated...

derez

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I am sorry, never meant to offend you.

My way of trying to help is first to understand the need.

JesseW

Licensed User
Longtime User
I am sorry, never meant to offend you.

My way of trying to help is first to understand the need.

I am sorry too... Maybe I misread your response, but thank you for responding nicely. :)

Jesse