GPS Issue

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I just received my inexpensive ($200 CDN) Flytouch 3 SuperPad 2 (512 RAM 4G NAND Flash) 10.2 " tablet. Almost need 2 hands to hold the thing!

The issue with GPS is that it will not start reporting Speed until it reaches 14 kmh. It reports 0 for anything below 14 kmh. I wish to create distance so I will need speed reported for anything above 2 kmh. Is this a device (chip set) limitation, Android or B4A producing this limitation? I have checked the methods for GPS, Sats and such but don't see how I could affect this matter there. I am using the GPS example for looking at GPS performance on my device. Also, the GPS (UTC) time does not seem to be exposed. Oterwise, the speed reported is very accurate without the lag I would experience processing NMEA strings in past designs.

Thanks

Mike Whetmore

dlfallen

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm sure it is not a B4A problem. Just a couple of hours ago I was walking with my wife while checking a GPS program I have under development. It reported we were walking at 3 kph. Had I read your post earlier, I would have walked slower to test the lower limits.

I would suggest downloading a free third-party GPS program (I have used GPS Status and it works well). If GPS Status also will not register a speed untill 14 kmh then you have a hardware/firmware problem. If GPS Status reports your speed accurately, then perhaps you have a problem in your code. If it is the latter, and you can't find the problem yourself, then post your code here and I'm sure someone will help you.

Upvote 0

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Great Idea! I will download and give it a try this weekend. I had another GPS util that show lat/lon but no speed. The app I compiled was the GPS sample posted in the example section here - very basic.

Thanks

Upvote 0

Harris

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Well, I just tried the GPS with GPS utils. Seems my device is restricting the speed. Same thing happens - no speed under 14 kmh. Now I will have to find out why this chip set acts this way.

Thanks

Upvote 0