GPS or LocationManager library?

edgar_ortiz

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi,

Through a service, I need to record the position (latitude and longitude) every "N" minutes.

Which GPS or LocationManager recommend?

Regards,

Edgar

Stulish

Licensed User
Longtime User
I think it depends on a few things:

1. will the app always have a view of satellites (if not then use location manager as it uses Cell towers).

2. How important is positional accuracy (i believe that GPS is more accurate, but am not completely sure)

3. or you use both:

a. Use GPS when a signal is available and the accuracy is good.
b. switch to location manager when no GPS is available. (in your position log you could annotate if it is from GPS or Location manager source)

These are just my thoughts,

I hope it helps

Stu

Upvote 0

JTmartins

Licensed User
Longtime User
Gps

I'm doing that, every X seconds with GPS library and storing the values in a database.

So GPS appears to be OK for what you describe.

José

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Reinierus

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello.
I think it is a good question.
I am using the GPS and, when I am not moving, the speed is not in 0 and/or the latitude and longitud are not stopped.
There are some solution for that or the LocationManager is better in that aspect?

Thanks

Upvote 0

pjetson

Licensed User
Longtime User
How far from zero is the speed? And how much are the lat and long changing when you're not moving? The GPS signal suffers degradation from a variety of factors on the way from the satellite to your screen. I've read that the accuracy is better than 9 meters horizontally and 15 meters vertically, 95% of the time.

Upvote 0