B4R Question GPS & sim

tufanv

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello,

I am unclear about something. Lets Say I want to track a device (let's say a car) . I think I need a GPS module but how can I track the car with the gps module only ? is it possible or do I also need a simcard or stg similar to track it? sorry for the dumb question but I can't understand how tracking a car is possible ?

Ty

tufanv

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Automotive vehicles? If so, then it shouldn't be that difficult, since powering and space shouldn't be a problem, yet antenna placement is, since a car is pretty much a Faraday's Cage. I would go with a bumper located (it's only plastic) esp32 + gsm900 module.

ESP32 is to be used to install our firmware instead of a ardunio right ?

Upvote 0

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Using a ESP32, you can implement your code directly, plus it has much more RAM and ROM, and the upgrade options are tremendous, like adding a camera... Plus it's Arduino compatible, so almost any breakout board you can use with Arduino you can use with the ESP32.
You can find one as cheap as 9€, and usually come with a power regulator, so you can power it directly from the car battery

Upvote 0

tigrot

Licensed User
Longtime User
You speak about price. I bought a car 6 months ago and payed € 22.000. A € 30 expense for a small car tracker is not comparable to car value. And if you need to look for an enclosure, components and whatever you need much more than € 30. And you don't have the responsibility to give repair and support to customer. You sell the software solution and they buy the trackers.

Upvote 0

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I don't think you can. Most GPS modules are "slaves" meaning they mostly receive AT commands, and occasionally send commands to the Master device to inform something has happened, like a incoming call or SMS. The it's up to the Master to treat the information received.

Upvote 0

emexes

Expert
Licensed User
can I only use this without esp32 or arduino board ?
Can you see any mention of a usable CPU or microcontroller in the description of that board? I can't, but my eyes are getting old.

This video shows that module being connected to an Arduino board using a TTL-level serial link, so I am thinking that you will need a CPU board in addition to this GSM/GPS board.

Upvote 0

emexes

Expert
Licensed User
My purpose is to create a small device that can be attachable to some bikes,cars,scooters etc. I need to develop my own app and own trackers.
Perhaps it is a bit early to ask, but: how's this project progressing? Did you decide on a solution?

I ask, because Ebay is sending me reminders each day about various GPS trackers, and I am close to being tempted to buy one, just to see what it's like. It mentions GPRS, but gives no indication as to how the data is transferred over the internet to their app. I am guessing that it travels via an intermediate server, and the app and the tracker are linked by the GPS SIM phone number. Or perhaps for the "GPS track: Send number 777 to alarm phone" command, the app also sends its external IP address (if it has one?) and opens up a socket to receive from the tracker, but... I doubt it, because the incoming connection would likely be blocked by an ISP or local firewall or restriction.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Mag...eal-Time-Tracking-Locator-Device/323849061460

Upvote 0

emexes

Expert
Licensed User
The most viable connection way is bluetooth locally, but you need a BT interface on arduino.
1/ talking end users through opening ports on their router is time out of your life that you'll never get back
2/ original use case will exceed BT range within 5 seconds (unless my dad's driving, in which case: more like 2 seconds ;-)

Upvote 0

tufanv

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I am still thinking of what to buy. Most tempting one is:

Sim800 module
Gps module
Esp32

Ready to go trackers doesnt help me as i need the location data in my own app.

Upvote 0

tigrot

Licensed User
Longtime User
Ready to go trackers doesnt help me as i need the location data in my own app.
You must have a datacenter, on which you can share your location data. I did for alzheimer unpaired people. You can store locations on a DB and show when needed. If you want I can give hints. In any way you cannot connect to a mobile without using a mediation. Firebase messaging could be used for this, for free. But not using trackers.

Upvote 0

rbghongade

Licensed User
Longtime User
Be careful with SIM808, it seems reading GPS interferes with GPRS connectivity as on some modules second UART is not broken out. I had this issue where I designed a GPS tracker to send data via MQTT. The network connection got interrupted and I had to restart the modem (SIM 808).

Upvote 0

emexes

Expert
Licensed User
I have ordered a SIM800L module +GY-NEO6MV2 GPS module. I will try with these.
On a related note: I received a ESP32 module yesterday. Took a bit of mucking about to get going because it's an instructionless no-name Chinese thing, but once going, it's been good. Using Arduino IDE, then B4R. There is a BLE library for Arduino that I've got working with an output characteristic.

Upvote 0

emexes

Expert
Licensed User
edit: *** SCRATCH THIS IDEA ***

Now that I can open those links, I see your device needs 3.7 to 4.2 V, and apparently absolutely not 5 V (although I'm not sure whether that stipulation is based on fact or assumption).

I had a near heart attack at the price 21.99 for the battery, until I realised it was Lira and not dollars or Euros :)

original suggestion:

If you just need 5 V then consider using COTS USB power bank. That way, charging and supply voltage regulation is already done for you, is easy to swap to smaller/larger battery depending on task, and can use car or mains USB charger whilst testing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tufanv

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
edit: *** SCRATCH THIS IDEA ***

Now that I can open those links, I see your device needs 3.7 to 4.2 V, and apparently absolutely not 5 V (although I'm not sure whether that stipulation is based on fact or assumption).

I had a near heart attack at the price 21.99 for the battery, until I realised it was Lira and not dollars or Euros :)

original suggestion:

If you just need 5 V then consider using COTS USB power bank. That way, charging and supply voltage regulation is already done for you, is easy to swap to smaller/larger battery depending on task, and can use car or mains USB charger whilst testing.
:) yes it is around 3 to 4 dollars.

Working with a battery like this is quicker way for testing purposes, if it is going to work with this kind of battery we would start with this and switch to method you have suggested.

Upvote 0

emexes

Expert
Licensed User
Looking at this datasheet for SIM800L, apparently that power supply voltage stipulation is correct ie 5 volts no good. You could always stick a silicon diode in series with the power supply input, to drop it by 0.7 volts ie down to 4.3 V which is nicely within the 3.4 - 4.4 V per page 21 of datasheet.

But it also talks of drawing 2 amp pulses when transmission (at about 1/9th duty cycle per page 22 figure 8) so you'd need to check that the 5 V supply can do that.

Upvote 0