Share My Creation Hebrew Keyboard

My Tablet doesn't have a special ROM with Hebrew so I can only see Hebrew character but not type them as there is no special keyboard for them. Since I have several applications that want this feature - I made a Hebrew keyboard.

The size fits my tablet, so please don't cry that it cannot be used on a small phone - I know.

The code is meant to be copied to an application so all the keys are created by code.

There are few tricks here:
1. I had to "consume" the Edittext event that calls the original keyboard, so I use labels instead. To look like Edittext - I put the label over the edittext (a little bit narrower), I actually created a Type with a ET and Label together.

2. All labels that are going to use this keyboard should use a common event called "Label" as the interface to the keyboard code. The result of the typing is returned to the calling label when Enter is pressed.

3. There is a cursor that enables you to insert or delete a character in the middle of the typed string. The behavior of combination of a regular character in a Hebrew string is surprising, as the position at the begining and end of the string is opposite. The sub "show" handles this for the displayed text.

4. As I proposed already in this forum, I show and hide the panel by the "left" property, instead of "visible", sending the panel away so it does not hide anything while I design other panels.

I believe it may be used for other languages with easy adaptation of characters replacement, if they are not supported.

(At least I don't have to explain the keyboard key's functionallity...:))

Attachments

• kbd3.jpg
    kbd3.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 9,798
  • kbd2.jpg
    kbd2.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 643
  • kbd1.jpg
    kbd1.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 668
  • HKbd.zip
    7.6 KB · Views: 939
Last edited:

splatt

Licensed User
Longtime User
Although I don't need a Hebrew keyboard, I wish this was my phones default keyboard. Miles better layout!