B4R Question How quickly can an Arduino w/cell modem run after power applied?

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I have a potential project that requires an Arduino to run code as soon as possible when it powers on.

As soon as it powers on, it needs to download data from an internet server and depending on the data, turn some relays on or off.

It would be best if the time from when power is applied, to when the relay clicks - to be around 10-15 seconds. Is this possible?

I have not worked with Arduino before, but I am thinking that because an Arduino does not have an OS, there is no lengthy "bootup" process that needs to happen when powered on before it can start running my code - is this a correct understanding?

..and, does the cellular modem (attached to the Arduino) need time to bootup before it can connect to a remote server and download data? If so, how much time does it need?

hatzisn

Licensed User
Longtime User
The bottleneck will definitely be in the cellular modem and communications. Arduino starts almost immediately.

Upvote 0

hatzisn

Licensed User
Longtime User
My understanding tells me that it will need some time to connect to the mobile network. From there, the speed of the cellular modem will be analogous to the type of connection (GPRS, 3G, 4G or 5G) and the length of the data. There is at last the lag for server access and response.

Upvote 1