How to achieve this?

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Ok, so I started planning my next app...
My line of thinking is this:

User downloads my app with one or two features ( I would call them Modules )
Then, in-app the user can buy additional independant Modules.
These Modules would then be Loaded into the app and showed inside a panel.

how can this be achieved, knowing that each Module has very different funcionality, thou sharing one single main component?

to be more clear, imagine a workbench, that starts of with only a workspace and a vice.
then the user can buy a lab power-supply, then an osciloscope, then a wave-gen...
All have different specific uses, but all work on the workbench, either stand alone, either together...

HOW CAN THIS BE ACHIEVED?

WAZUMBi

Licensed User
Longtime User
The simplest way would be to include but deactivate access to the additional modules.
Then when a purchase is made set a flag to make them available.

Here is a link to Google Play In-app Billing Overview

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I thought about it, and as a base start, I may go with it, BUT, if I am to create newer modules in the future, It would mean recompiling and/or recoding most of the app.

SO no other way to run in app widgets?

KMatle

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I would do it like Wazumbi has written. Enable/disable the functions. Benefit: You only have ONE app. Recompiling (new version to add another function) is the smallest problem.

Inside the app you have to call some sort of server sw (php + MySql) to check if the user has payed for function x. It's all about the design of your app. I would use panels for each function. With a simple List you can handle the activation of function x (shows up or not).

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Inside the app you have to call some sort of server sw (php + MySql) to check if the user has payed for function x.

I was afraid of this...
Any examples on this? I do have my own domain php/SQL enabled... but for me... is Chinese!

WAZUMBi

Licensed User
Longtime User
Google Play already has a mechanism in place for this. Once the upgrade has been purchased they send your app the purchase details.

You will need to add the library as described here:
http://developer.android.com/training/in-app-billing/preparing-iab-app.html#GetSample

Adding a new code module as to simply setting a flag to enable access to it? No sure if this is possible.

I think you may need to have separate paid versions of your app and avoid all this.

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Google Play already has a mechanism in place for this. Once the upgrade has been purchased they send your app the purchase details.

You will need to add the library as described here:
http://developer.android.com/training/in-app-billing/preparing-iab-app.html#GetSample
Very good reading. ...

Adding a new code module as to simply setting a flag to enable access to it? No sure if this is possible.
Not adding but enabling. .. it's doable
I think you may need to have separate paid versions of your app and avoid all this.
That would mean having about 15 to 20 different versions. My goal is to create an "all in one place" app