how to create a trial program ?

gjoisa

Licensed User
Longtime User
hi
I have written a program . I want to distribute its trial version . How to create a trial version ?

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
It is not an 100% secure way, but you can write a regestry key on first run, on some part of the regestry thet only you know, and that should have nothing to do with your program...containing the date of the first run...
Then, in the subsequent runs, check that same regestry key, anad compare withe the current date...
if the time span returned is bigger than you allow, then just close the app.

gjoisa

Licensed User
Longtime User
Can u explain with a small example ? Because I am new to such a things . Thanks a lot .

origami

Licensed User
Hi gjoisa,

There are several ways to do a trial version of your program.
You can for example disable some functions (for example Save). To do so, simply comment out the Sub that does this. Or even easier, remove (or hide) the buttons that command the actions.

You can also limit the use of the program to a certain duration (10 minutes, for example).
To do this, you can use the Tick count, and after a certain level, you simply close the application, with an explanation.

It depends of your application. You need the user to be able to use it, but not too much. Or too long.

gjoisa

Licensed User
Longtime User
how to write code ,to get first run date ? And how to save it on program ?:sign0085:

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
A simple flow chart to do this would look like this...

On every RUN:

* Check if start date exists, if not then this IS the first run, so write the date to the regestry.

*If start date exist then compare with the current system date...
(To avoid the user to workaround this protection, by altering the system date, one could also write the number os times the program as been runned...)

* If the date diference is bigger than the number of days you specified, then terminate the program...

PS. I'm a bitt busy these days, but I am plannig on building a stand alone protection system, that should be easy to integrate in any app....

Let's just wait and see...